Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet not recognized by Modem

• Please log in to reply

pinerra

pinerra

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter which I mostly use for a Lan network with another PC. Recently I installed vista and found the USB drivers were not supported under Vista. I tried via ethernet and the modem didn't recognize the connection, I tried under different operating systems and still no connection, Vista recognizes the ethernet card.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Have you tried with only the vista machine connected to the modem... ( by the way what kind of modem? ) I have had problems having vista connected to the network with other computers.... they all lose internet until the vista machine is turned off or disconnected.... Probably has to do with the old master browser type stuff ( in my case anyway ) but I haven't messed with it lately as I'm way too busy at the moment.

pinerra

pinerra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the modem is a dlink 302g. I've disconnected the Vista machine from any and all networks around it and simply plugged in the modem via the free ethernet port. The modem won't recognize there is an ethernet connection, I think the problem is on the Modem's end because it won't work in any other operating system either.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You're not using a crossover cable are you? If you were connecting 2 PC's directly, you'd want one but you don't if you're connecting a PC to a modem, hub or router.

pinerra

pinerra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, what exactly is a cross over cable?

I am using the same cable that I was using for the PC to PC network that I am now for the modem to PC connection. So if I'm using a cross over cable do I need a new cable or... something else?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you were connecting the two PC's directly to each other with one cable and nothing in between, that would be a crossover cable. It's wired differently. Do you have a cable that came with the cable modem?

pinerra

pinerra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh I see, ok so I definitely was using across over cable.

actually I'm not sure if the modem came with an ethernet cable, it did with a USB one. I can just go and buy an ethernet cable for it can't I?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Yes, you can buy one.
If you had the 2 pc's connected directly (no router, hub, etc, cable coming out of one pc and going straight into the other pc) you would've needed a crossover cable as far as I know. Do you have another cable lying around somewhere that you didn't use that way? Just about everything comes with an ethernet cable.

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Best buy they are about 15-20$. You're looking for Category 5, RJ-45 Ethernet Cables.

pinerra

pinerra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The modem only came with a USB connection (pretty sure now) so I guess I'll have to buy another ethernet cable.

Thanks for the help :whistling: