Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything opens with Paint

• Please log in to reply

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello...well I have this same exact ridiculous problem. :) It all started this morning when my system was attacked by Trojandownloader.xs. Now almost everything I try to open (including several anti-virus scans/installs) gives the error to the effect of

“C:..Documents and Settings..April K..Local Settings..Temporary Internet Files..Content.IE5..XI3FIZF7..SmitfraudFix[1].exe Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.”

I've read through everything wannabe1 posted (and let me say you seem to be the most patient, knowledgable person on the planet) and there were a few variations of things that my system did let me do, which handyjay said his still gave him the error at those points. As for the solution that was reached in the end...I don't have an XP cd, plus that part had me a bit worried anyways since I am a non-computer type person and wasn't sure if that was along the lines of reformatting. I have tons of important photos and things on here I want to save/not have to reinstall. (I tried earlier to burn them onto cd's to have them safe but it popped up errors and wouldn't let me). Sooo...hopefully after all this time, maybe you have thought more deeply on this issue and can offer me some help. It would be greatly appreciated :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello goldenbeetle...

I split your topic off so we can start fresh...

Are you able to open either of the Registry Editors? (regedit or regedt32)

wannabe1

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes, and I already tried what you had suggested to handyjay about downloading the exe_fix to my desktop, etc. and that did not seem to change anything.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's verify a few keys...

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Is this what you find?

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yep, that's exactly what's there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...collapse (click -) that hive and expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to and click on Shell. What is the value under the Data column? It should be Explorer.exe.

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes, it is Explorer.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You say this problem is very recent. Have you tried running a system restore to a date before the problem surfaced?

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes, and it still has the problem when it reboots after system restore. Is there some way to Restore Defaults for "Open with" designations?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are for most applications, but I know of no way to reset the defaults system wide without reinstalling.

When you right click on a file, is the "Open With" option missing entirely?

Advertisements

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
for some things that option is gone, some things it is still there...but I wouldn't know what to select anyways/don't know what program that type of file should open with.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of file are you trying to open?

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well when I first start up, there are about 20 error boxes from it trying to open all sorts of things that are set to open at start up....such as:

ProgramFiles\Sony|HotKey Utility\HKServ.exe
ProgramFiles\Wireless Desktop\LgWDskTp.exe
Windows\system32\regscan.exe
Windows\system32\dumprep.exe

...the list goes on, all saying "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.” but I also get the same error message when I try to click on programs on my desktop, like Yahoo Messenger, or to open anti-virus programs so I can scan my system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:)

Go Back to Registry Editor and expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT....scroll way down and click on Applications. What is the value listed for (Default)?

goldenbeetle

goldenbeetle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
(value not set)