Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Favorites are all Deleted

• Please log in to reply

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi,
I just went to my Favorites on IE and I noticed that it is EMPTY. All of my Favoriates are DELETED! What do I do? Can I get them back? I lost all my Favorites. Why?
Advice please?
Thanks

Advertisements

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello,

You can try running System Restore in Windows to go back to a date before you lost your bookmarks. If you're running XP or Vista, make sure that you are logged on as Administrator and then follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
3. The rest is really self-explanatory, so just follow the Wizard from here.

You should consider backing up your bookmarks in the future. If you do not know how to do that, we can provide instructions in that area. What version of IE are you using? If you are unsure, click Help > About Internet Explorer.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
System restore didnt work
version 8
the newest one
thanks

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Unlike regular files such as image, audio, video and text files, when you delete Bookmarks from IE, they do NOT go the the Recycle Bin, so you can't check there.

Using System Restore has been known to work in certain scenarios in the past, but if it didn't work for you, I'm not sure if anything else can be done in this situation. :)

As I mentioned above, it's a good idea to backup your bookmarks (also known as Favorites). When you backup your bookmarks, they will be compiled in one single file on your hard drive. That way, if something goes whacky with IE, you can always import your bookmarks backup.

To export the Favorites folder, follow these steps:
  • In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
  • Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
  • Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
  • Select the Favorites folder that you want to export. If you want to export all Favorites, select the top level Favorites folder. Otherwise, select the individual folder that you want to export.
  • Click Next. By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than Bookmark.htm, or if you want to store the exported Favorites in a folder other than the Documents folder, specify the new file and folder name.
  • Click Next. If you already have a file that has the same name, Internet Explorer asks you to replace it. Click Yes to replace the file. Click No to provide a new file name.
  • Click Export.
  • Click Finish.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I am confused, I am supposed to do this export thing now and I can recover my favorites?

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
As I stated in post #4, there is nothing else you can do. Your favorites are gone. You won't be able to recover them.

I was suggesting that in the future, when you build your favorites list back up again, that you can export them so that if something happens in IE, you will have a backup copy of your favorites.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
please do not have her do a System Restore as we are working a malware topic and the restore points are infected.

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
BHowett,

Sorry, I did not realize that she had a malware infection. :) If I did, I wouldn't have told her to run system restore.

From my angle, I only saw the question about "favorites deleted", and was working off of that question only.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
no worries :)