Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File, printer sharing windows xp

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'm wanting to setup file and printer sharing. I have read and followed the steps in the Pinned networking Tutorail for file sharing . When I get to step 8 I don't have the option of highlighting the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” the only thing there is the "Service Advertising Protocal" .

Why isn't the file and printer option there? :whistling:

Edited by duley3, 09 October 2006 - 11:27 AM.

Advertisements

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Anyone have any ideas?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. How many computers do you have? Do you have a firewall installed on them?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I only have 2 . And the only firewall is windows on both. When I get to step 8 in the sharing file and printer (the pinned tread) I don't have the option "file and printer sharing" to highlight as stated in that step.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, I think I might have found something. When I get to the "Local Area Connection Properties" window (step 5) I have already got the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network" in the box. It also has a check beside it. But I didn't do this, is it possible that I bought it this way?

Does this mean that it is already setup for the sharing?
If so, all I need to do is run the wizard right?

If yes to both, then I'm sorry for wasting your time I didn't notice this before.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Yes when most Internal PCI NIC's are installed (by the manufacturer or by the guy down at CompUSA) The File and printer sharing service is auto installed in the TCP/IP stack along with the client..... and qos......

ALSO

You still need to run the wizard (sets your Computername and workgroupes and enables the local computer browser service and share permissions)

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 11 October 2006 - 08:10 PM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay thanks for the help.

Sorry for wasting your time. I didn't notice it before.

Thanks agagin

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
No need to apologize and you surely didn't wast my time. We are all volunteers here not because we are just really geeky but because we once came here for help and someone helped us out and now are returning the favor, so to speak. :whistling:

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks

Maybe one day I will be good enough to offer a helping hand....BUT, NOT YET..... :whistling: