Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox won't run, won't uninstall

• Please log in to reply

tstclaserjock

tstclaserjock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, everything was hunky dory for a while, but now, firefox won't start because it says another instance of it has to close first, but there is no other instance.

On top of that, I can't run it in safe mode because I get the same error.

On top of THAT I can't uninstal it, when I try to uninstall, nothing happens at all, after clicking on uninstal.

What can I do?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there tstclaserjock, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Try this, goto:
> Start
> Run
> Type in "tskill firefox"

After you have done that try uninstalling firefox. If that did not work, boot up into safemode and try and uninstall it from there.

Once you have uninstalled firefox, I would recommend installing the new version (1.5.0.4)
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Let me know if it worked. Cool :whistling:

tstclaserjock

tstclaserjock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I tried TSKill first. It didn't work. Then I rebooted to safe mode and tried uninstalling the the programs and features menu and IT didn't work. Then I started a DOS prompt and tried the TSKill and it said something to the effect that it couldn't find any such process. Then I got the genius idea of going right to the firefox directory and I found an uninstall executable in there. I ran it. It performed UNUSUALLY rapidly, deleating most of the stuff, but without prompts etc.

I rebooted to where I am now, back in Vista main user account, and I tried reinstalling after redownloading, and I get a pop up window with the name "7-zip" on it and the message "Unspecified effor." So I still can't get FF to install.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, that is interesting.

Firefox uses the 7-zip self extracting archive utility, so something is conflicting between vista's built in compression and the 7-zip archive.

One thing you could do is load 7-zip on a separate machine (xp), then right click, choose extract to....

this will give a folder with the setup.exe and 7 or 8 other files in it...you can move this to vista and install by running setup.exe

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a similar problem it came up and said you must restart your computer for update installation or something i did restart (like 10 times) and it did not work so i went to my C drive program files right clicked on Mozilla Firefox and just clicked delete it said this may effect programs i said yes anyway just kept it in the recycle bin to be safe went to http://www.firefox.com clicked download and installed it works fine now maybe it will work for you or someone else who finds this it is the first link that comes up when you Google "Firefox won't unintall" well good luck everyone! :)