Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First Computer Build v2.0

• Please log in to reply

swiveldemon

swiveldemon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,

So this is a followup to the thread My First Computer Build. I'm reposting under another topic in order to get a little more focus on the basically finalized build that I got from that thread.

I started out with an AMD build and I ended up doing a Intel build, which was then refined further. Below is the build that came as a result of the peer review:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N

Graphics Card: MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Wireless Card: ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter - Retail

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail

Monitor: Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support

Any tips for how I can make this better (other than buying more expensive parts) will be much appreciated. Also if you like it I could always use the encouragement :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Next time, please keep everything in one thread. :)
Depending on how far you want to push your CPU, you can get a cheaper motherboard if you like.
You also need to purchase a aftermarket heatsink, if you plan on overclocking that CPU.
I suggest this guy.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835207004
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 July 2008 - 02:15 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'd recommend the HDT-S1283 instead. The Core Contact Freezer only outperforms the HDT-S1283 by 0.7C when the fan is on max speed, but when the fan speed is reduced to 1000rpm the HDT-S1283 outperforms the Core Contact Freezer by 1.4C. (Source: http://www.frostytec...m?...271&page=5) When you take into account that the HDT-S1283 can be had for $27 including shipping after mail-in rebate (as opposed to $49 including shipping for the Core Contact Freezer), it's really a no-brainer.

Edited by stettybet0, 28 July 2008 - 02:35 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Settybet0, can you measure the distance between the base of the heatsink to the aluminum fins. The reason why I never suggested that heatsink was because I was unsure of whether or not the fins were high enough to avoid the MOSFET/NB heatsinks on the motherboard.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
According to Frostytech, the HDT-S1283's fins are 35mm above the CPU socket, while the Core Contact Freezer's fins are 36mm above the CPU socket. In my experience installing the HDT-S1283 on my EVGA 680i, when turned one way the HDT-S1283 would not fit due to the NB heatsink, but when turned 90° it fit fine. This was actually ideal for me, as the heatsink fan now blows the hot air out the top vent of the Antec 900, with help from the 200mm case fan. Unfortunately, the CM690 has no top exhaust, so this might be less ideal for this situation.

Edited by stettybet0, 28 July 2008 - 03:05 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

while the Core Contact Freezer's fins are 36mm above the CPU socket.

That's odd, Sunbeam's site states 45mm here.
James

swiveldemon

swiveldemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, well I haven't decided if I am going to overclock, but If I do I'll be sure to pick up one of those after-market heatsinks.

I'm not sure how much lower I can go on the motherboard. The one I've got is really the only reasonably priced one with the features I want, specifically PCI Express 2.0 (for the GPU), firewire, and "out of the box" support for 45 nm processors.

Alright with those trivialities aside, I guess I need to ask about an OS. I plan on dual booting XP and Ubuntu. So should I do 32-bit or 64-bit? To be honest I don't really know much about the difference, so any help you can offer would be great.