Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Builder Help needed

• Please log in to reply

brot316

brot316

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, so I am looking to make my own desktop and I was going to start but then I wanted to make sure I had everything right. I know what CPU and Motherboard sockets ect are but don't know to many details about them.... But I wanted to make sure I had the right things, I know somethings don't go to well together with others. Anyways here is what I am looking for.

I want to make a desktop that can handle Sony Vegas and Photoshop at least and probably more and I want to use it for dumping photos in and also as a general PC.

-Looking to spend around $600-800 dollars
-still trying to save some money.
-Look of case is not a big deal.
-Intel or AMD i will take either, prefer Intel but what ever
-Good Graphic card is a must
-RAM enough to run Vegas and something else without it slowing down my PC. I was thinking about 4 gigs of RAM don't know if thats to much
-XP or Vista doesn't matter might be leaning more towards vista.
- Hardrive I have a few externals but something around 120 or more will do.
-Need help on the little nick nacks like fan, power supply, motherboard.

Should I build one or would it be easier to buy one. Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by brot316, 24 July 2008 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

brot316

brot316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am going to add this Motherboard http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=3495

Intel Cord 2 Quad http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=3406

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Since you have a tight budget, I would suggest going with a motherboard that only supports one video card like this Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Intel Motherboard, however this board doesn't come with Firewire (if you need it).

Good Graphic card is a must

Is it because you're gaming?

brot316

brot316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no not really I just want to be able to use all the video effects from Sony Vegas the video editing program without freeze ups and jagged edges

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you video edit, virtually any video card on the market will be fine for real time rendering in Vegas. The main thing you need to be worried about is the raw processing power of your CPU.
James

brot316

brot316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so would 4 gb be enough with Vista for rendering and non such

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, it should be sufficient. Vegas is a 32bit application, thus adding more RAM wouldn't be beneficial due to the limitation within the program itself.
James