Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time build

• Please log in to reply

MoMetal

MoMetal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Over the past few weeks the info on this site has been amazing as far as preping me for my first build. I had a preleminary list thats gone through a few changes. So here's a final check list before ordering.

Just a recap, this is going to mostly be a gaming computer. I have a budget of around 1000 but a little over's ok. To help things out, I have a 8800 GT video card that was an almost freebie :)

DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - Retail - I figure I can make do with just one for now to save a few bucks

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM - Im not a big fan of vista but I've heard that xp-64 bit is garbage

NZXT LEXA BlackLine Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

So please have at it. Double check my work and offer any suggestions. But please give me a little "because" if I should change anything. I wanna know as much as I can. Thanks

Matt

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

If you only have a single graphics card for this build, I wouldn't suggest spending so much money on the DFI motherboard. I would only recommend something like this if you were intending on running 2x ATi (AMD) graphics cards in Crossfire. For a cheaper motherboard that will give you excellent performance (i.e. you wouldn't notice the difference), try this.

I suggest you grab the E8400 Wolfdale processor, it's the newer model of the same processor. It is built on the 45nm architecture, so they run cooler, and it has a larger cache - it's only about $10 more, but I would do it. :)

Also, you could grab the Home Premium version of Vista, and save a few dollars - unless you need the "extras" offered by Ultimate...

And lastly, cases do come down to personal choice. Two of my current favourites are the Thermaltake M9, and the Antec 300. Both are high-quality, and cheaper than the case you have chosen.

Other than that, it looks pretty good to me! :)

Cheers

Troy

MoMetal

MoMetal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the response as always. The reason I was going to go with the DFI was a "just in case later..." sorta thing. Have I goofed and picked a mobo that couldn't do sli if i wanted to set that up later?

Matt

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, that's correct - the motherboard you have chosen supports Crossfire, but not SLI. To have SLI as a future possibility, you'll need to select a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset.

Something like this will do the trick nicely.

Cheers

Troy

MoMetal

MoMetal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for catching the sli snaphoo! I was talking with some friends across state and they hooked me up with a guy that can get me a fairly generous deal on this mobo. Before I jump in, is this a good one for my build if I want to be able to run sli later but still want to mee the spec performance I wanting with my initial build? Is the "bang" I'd be getting from that mobo (if for nearly the same price as the one you listed for me) worth doing?

Matt

edit: :) after reviewing this post it seems pretty sketch. It's not though, its a uncle-in-law's brother who owns a computer parts store willing to sell me a few pieces for near wholesale.

Edited by MoMetal, 07 July 2008 - 08:01 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's quite a nice motherboard, so if you can get a good deal on that, I wouldn't be hesitating myself! :)

Cheers

Troy