Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Player sites have no sound

• Please log in to reply

hobbes30

hobbes30

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, this is about the fifth forum I've joined looking for a solution, and I'm hoping you guys can actually help me.

For the past week or so, I've had no sound from any websites that run on flash player. Every other spect of sound on my pc is fine, so I know it's nothing to do with my speakers (yes they are turned on and up :) ) or my sound card and nothing is conflicting in my set-up.

So far, I've uninstalled version 8 , cleaned my registry, rolled back to version 7 and nothing. I've done this several times. Also system restored more times than I care to remember.

At my wits end with this, esp as it's a family pc, and 99% of the kids websites depend on flash.

So....can anyone outdo the other forums??LOL :tazz: :)

Advertisements

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no one then?? :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It could be malware it often causes a lot of problems especially when it is internet related, read You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log and then post in the Malware Forum once clean come back here, and I will see what I can do.

Please don't dobble post, we are all volenters we do our best. Also it makes it look as though you are beeing helped, we look for posts with no replys more than ones with one reply.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 October 2005 - 03:46 AM.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I should have gone into more detail in my opening thread.
I've run all the tests you mention in that link and hijack this only lists things I should have on my pc. My pc is clean of viruses and malware (should be, as I run tests every day) which is why I'm struggling to find a solution to my problem.

I apologize for bumping my own thread, but when it went unanswered while newer threads were being posted and dealt with, I wondered if it had been missed.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Sorry forgot to say in my first post Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go
If it goes over several days then mabye, but a few hours is not long to wait for free help.

I can't think of anything, I will ask some of the experts on this, but you could try getting FireFox it has a plug in for just about anything might be a very good work around for a problem like this, it is a far better the Internet Explorer. There is a link in my Signature alone with a lot of other good stuff.

Final Question, How do you know what you see in HiJack This is good?

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 October 2005 - 05:26 AM.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nothing in Firefox either.

I've ran hijack this via several other forums, plus this website: http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php#anl and the analyzer at iamnotageek.com and the only things it ever says are slightly dodgy are actually applications like Encarta that it has no database for. Nothing has ever turned up in a hijack this log that I've never been able to explain.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I was actually googling this yesterday. it really does seem that firefox is a workaround for the IE problem. get it here: http://www.mozilla.org

.. and people can read their own HJT logs. I do it all the time :tazz:

wow.. post collision. most people who have no sound in flash are using linux and not windows, how strange.

Edited by Thef0rce, 04 October 2005 - 05:32 AM.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Having Googled some more (geez I'm sick of this already :) ) I've found that too. The IT guy at a friends work has also had this problem, removed all instances of Flash 8 and re-installed Flash 7 and got sound back.

I've tried this, but it didn't work.

I cleaned all signs of Flsah 8 out of my resistry as well as uninstalling it but what I want to ask is , could it hide anywhere else that I haven't thought to look or isn't obvious? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, look for macromedia / flash etc, include hidden and system files

You may find a folder in programme files

You may find its active x control by running disc clean up then clicking view downloaded programme files

Get CCleaner here

http://www.filehippo...d_ccleaner.html

Run the cleaner, then run the issues scan, take the option to make a back up each time you run this, keep running it till no issues show

Reboot the PC

Download the previous versions here

http://www.macromedi...cfm?id=tn_14266

One of them will work :tazz: though you may need to run CCleaner / issues scan if you want to remove it before installing another one

If you use the tools section of CCleaner it will remove the player

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, I've done all of that up to player version 6, and still no joy. :)

How would I go about installing versions 4 and 5? All it's downloaded from the site you gave me is the .ocx files, and I'm not sure how to deal with them. :tazz:

Advertisements

fractalsoup

fractalsoup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey I found this thread on Google because my buddy has this EXACT same problem. Brand new pc, xp pro, fresh flash install and no flash sound in either IE or Firefox.

We've tried everything. This PC is brand new and I've secured it from threats myself with AVG, ZoneAlarm, MS Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, and he doesn't use IE except for his school's site. We did the securing the minute after the Comcast guy installed a connection on the PC for the very first time, and then fully scanned it just to be sure.

We've done everything else mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, hobbes30, I'm wondering.. is this your audio driver:

Realtek HD ALC 880 Audio CODECs v R1.25 for Win XP/2000/2003(32/64 bits)

Publisher: Realtek
Operating System: Windows 2000/XP
File Size: 23.225 MB

Description:
---------------------
Version Informations:
---------------------
WDM driver for Win2000/WinXP : 5.10.0.5172

FYI - go to the Start | Run and type Winmsd, enter, expand Components, then click on "Sound Device" to see if you have the same audio driver as my buddy. The 5.10 number is WAY to right in the Driver row.

If so I think that's the problem! Process of elimination...

If not maybe together we can still figure this out.

Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by fractalsoup, 14 October 2005 - 09:19 PM.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
doesn't look like it's going to be that easy. this is mine:

Name VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_30591849&REV_50\3&61AAA01&0&8D
I/O Port 0x0000D800-0x0000D8FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 22
Driver d:\windows\system32\drivers\viaudio.sys (6.14.01.3900 built by: VIA, 86.88 KB (88,960 bytes), 9/30/2005 3:52 PM)

I also have media player windows closing on me shortly after they open, even when disabling pop-up blockers

Like you, i've exausted all options now. :tazz:

DanWahn

DanWahn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem here...
It started when I began to use a Logitech USB Headset (has a soundcard built in... so this may be a reason for the problem). I removed it and (almost) all of its files/registry entries. But still no sound in Flash applications...
Has someone found a solution yet?!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you looked at default playback devices

Click start then control panel, sounds and audio then sounds and audio devices

DanWahn

DanWahn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
thx for your answer!
yes I did. I even removed the device from the sound device list. all other applications have sound... so we have a flash specific problem I suppose...