Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezy computer

• Please log in to reply

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Every now and then (2-3 times a week) my computer just freezes, everything freezes up. Only thing I can do is restart my computer.

Now I didn't post this in malware because I ran a couple of scans with a updated free version of AVG, I'll try to update again and scan some more. But if it's another problem I can fix, please help :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi CrAzY_J!

AVG only detects viruses, while your problem may be malware related. Try following the steps listed HERE for removing your computer of malware.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 October 2005 - 06:04 PM.

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you for the reply Fenor.

I know I should have added this, but ..I didn't :tazz: . I also ran Spybot search and Destroy and Ad Aware 6.0

I have a Windows XP pro system
And on my other hard drive, Linux Fedora Core.
(But the problem only occurs in XP (I don't use Fedora core alot) ).

My computer is also updated with Windows Update :)

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I hope anyone can still help me with this problem. :tazz:

Also, the computer not just freezes sometimes, but also restarts or goes into standy mode while I'm busy doing something..anything. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CrAzY_J...

Would you post me a HiJackThis log please? There's a link for the download in my signature below.

wannabe1

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi CrAzY_J...

Would you post me a HiJackThis log please? There's a link for the download in my signature below.

wannabe1

Thanks for the reply.
Here ya go:
http://crazyj.digita.../hijackthis.log

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
CrAzY_J...

How are you doing over there in GeekU? You should run over to malware and run the Start Here group...There's some masties in there. (Be sure to run CWShredder) You might post an HJT log there, too.

I'm going to need just a bit more info than the HJT is giving me. Please download, install, and run Everest (also a link in my sig) and post a log to this thread.

Have you added any hardware lately?

wannabe1

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

CrAzY_J...

How are you doing over there in GeekU? You should run over to malware and run the Start Here group...There's some masties in there. (Be sure to run CWShredder) You might post an HJT log there, too.

I'm going to need just a bit more info than the HJT is giving me. Please download, install, and run Everest (also a link in my sig) and post a log to this thread.

Have you added any hardware lately?

wannabe1

Here's my new HJT log: http://crazyj.digita.../hijackthis.log
and my report from Everest: http://crazyj.digitalcs.net/Report.htm

No new hardware installed recently.

I've been away from GtG for a while so the progress at GeekU for me is not going..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CrAzY_J...

Go ahead and post an HJT log in Malware...you still have issues there.

I have to step out for a while today, but will review the Everest log when I return. I halfware suspect an ACPI problem...I've run into this before with AOpen mainboards, but need to look the log over a little better before we go there.

Have you updated the video drivers? You might do that in the meantime if you haven't already. They are available HERE.

wannabe1

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
- Posted the log at Malware, don't think anyone got to it though. Maybe because of my topic name, didn't know what else to put.

- Updated drivers :tazz:

Thanks for posting :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello CrAzY_J...

You'll need to be patient with the Malware folks...they're overwhelmed over there. Last I heard, the average wait for a reply was about two days.

I need you to check a setting on your computer for me...Go to Control Panel and double click on Power Options. If you have an APM tab, click it and see if APM is enabled. Post back with what you find...

wannabe1

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No APM tab, I got:
-----------------------------
Power Schemes | Advanced | Hibernate | UPS
-----------------------------

I couldn't find any clue of APM either.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
CrAzY_J...

What!!!! No APM tab???? (Just kidding...I was hoping you wouldn't find one! :tazz: )

I see you're runnning with a 2001 version of BIOS...You might update that, too, but let's hold off for a while on that. The only place I know of to update BIOS for AOpen mainboards is esupport.com. I'll ask some other techs to be sure. Your BIOS info follows:

Award BIOS Type...........Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message......S21MR02-C2
System BIOS Date..........01/17/01
Video BIOS Date.............05/05/03

Has your machine frozen since installing the updated video drivers? Let's watch it for a while before we do anything else. Let me know if you have any hangs and note the time so we can look them up in the Event Viewer.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 October 2005 - 09:29 PM.

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks Wannabe1.

Nothing happened so far, but once anything starts popping up I'll report here :tazz: