Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Funny Bios Story....plz help me...

• Please log in to reply

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
What can i say? I have idiotic urges to destroy... destroy... well, i was playin counterstrike source with my glitchy system, some stuff in the background an windows xp home edition.
I exit the stuff, sound crashes, somewat normal, so i go to reinstall from old hd files... restore is off.... im also an idiot...and i dont hav driver cds... windows website is somewat unhelpful an i cant quite get the hd backups to work properly, so i exit, go to bios on restart...
an here il list all the things i got bored an played with.... this is where toppling things comes into play...

Bios now adjusted too: brought fsp to.... 167 i believe... 200% memory rate... and taht brought the htz or watever i think to like... 332... then i turned the hd slave from auto to manuel... didnt really touch anything in it, just that... :) and of course i adjusted external chaches from enabled to disabled... brought auto emergency shut off from disengaged to 70 degrees c... i also twitched like the vga palette snooop from disabled to enabled... and thats all i can really think of that i twitched (thats all :) )

;) So, with that in mind, and my stupidity in check, here is wat little i knwo about my system... 6800 nvidia vid card, some motherboard ;) ... ummm builtin audio i believe, i think there is a built in modem perhaps... uh, lan card, usb mouse, p2 keyboard...
oh yes, and i twitched the os/2 above 64 memory from disabled to enabled... im too curious... bad for my health an others... a 16x burner dvd i believ an 120 g harddriv or so... plus my moniter an dsl router via lan...
:tazz:
So if for some odd reason their are people left willing to help i would be rather somewat greatful... this is namely why i joined here... thanks. Have a Good Day.

Peace be with all of You

Advertisements

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Get a hobby when you're bored, maybe stamp collecting or something equally non-destructive...
In short, don't XXXX with the bios if you don't know anything about it! ;)

Go back into the bios and select the option "load setup defaults" or something similar.
It should work again.
And than ask someone who knows what they are doing to tweak your bios settings.

Webslinger :tazz:

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I would hav tweaked them agian until they did work if i could... unfourtanetly it wont go beyond start up, i turn it on, it hums up, then a quick little BEEP, then restart... BEeP, again, etc, so on...i shoulda added that i suppose... i need to find a way to get into bios... it wont start up to even show the screen... its a first for me, and frankly, quite shockingly scarry... my poor pc! ;)

thanks for wat help u did offer though more is needed... plz people, come forth with suggestions for :tazz: fixing mycomputers bios etc.. thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Out of all the bios settings to tweak, you have picked some of the most dangerous ones. Well done!

OK, assuming you haven't terminally fried any hardware due to the FSB changes etc, then recovery is simple.
Disconnect the power to the system
Open up the case
Wear an antistatic band if you have one. If not, touch something metal to discharge your static & don't touch anything inside the case (eg mobo etc) that you don't need to.
Look for the flat round lithium battery on the mobo.
Very close by should be a jumper (small plastic rectangular cap). The pins the cap is sitting on should be marked on the mobo as clear_cmos or reset_cmos or similar. If not, then tell me what you do see.

If you find it, you will see there is the jumper with one bare pin next to it. The 2 pins under the jumper are pins 1+2, 3 is the bare one.
Remove the jumper & place it over pins 2+3. Leave this in place for about 10 secs or so, then return the jumper to where it came from (pins 1+2)

Reconnect power. The bios should now be reset to default values & boot up.

NB Do not move any jumpers apart from the one I've told you to. If you are in any doubt about which one to move, tell me first.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
unplug your computer and pull the battery out of the motherboard for 2 minutes re-install battery plug in PC and boot...its call clearing the CMOS...you can do it via jumper but I dont have a clue what your is.

Your going to have to reset clock

edit: Samm beat me to it

Edited by OneCool, 01 June 2005 - 06:15 PM.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
O.K ;)
Thanks for the delightful help, thanks everyone, especialy samm ;)

while i liked the simplicity of just pullin out hte battery an putten it bak i opted to use the suggested jumpers, worked wonders, i adjusted bios to something more normal an left the basic settins at optimal, (il twitch it more later :tazz: and now il know how to restart bios for those drastic victorys assumin it dont blow)

Thanks again, now if only i hadnt tryied fixing it with that magnet...

jokin! anyways, Peace be with al of You

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Lol, i like you Destructo Roboto, you remind me of me!