Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game wont install, , says " drive is unsafe ? ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
My pc has 2 drives ,one 500gb drive ( which isnt active at the moment, need a new sata cable ) and the other is a 640gb drive.
The 640gb drive is partitioned with a 100gb C:/ operating system drive and the rest of the drive is a D:/ Data drive.

I recently installed some games but they installed onto the C:/ drive, which is becoming a bit overcrowded, so i have uninstalled the games to free up space on the small partition, and i am in the proccess of re-installing them on the D:/ drive.
I have successfully installed them all on the D drive but unfortunatly one series of games ( battlefield 2142 , battlefield 2 and battlefield 2 special forces ) wont install at all :)
When i start the installation and select the custom install , when i select D:/ DATA as the drive for installation, i get an error message saying " cannot install as the drive is unsafe " , , ,? ? ? I have never seen this type of error message before and i am somewhat confused. All the other games installed correctly, , its just the battlefield series that are playing up, , ,

Anyone got any ideas or solutions ? ?

Many thanks, , kev

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
1: run a check disk on drive c and d.

2: have you performed a manual uninstall of those games (to be sure they are fully uninstalled)?

3: make sure your cable is properly seated.

4: check the share properties of the d drive.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there and thanks for the reply, , ,
1/ no , i havent ran a disk check , wouldnt have thought it neccesary as pc is only 2 months old, and all the other 5 games installed without any conflict or error , , is it really neccesary to run a check ? ?

2/ Yes, , i have done a manual clean up after uninstalling all the games from the C: partition.

Am quite perplexed as i havent seen this error before on any pc that i have owned , ,even pcs that "DID " have a faulty drive

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, it's not unheard of that a brand new drive was damaged so running a check surely would not hurt anything. It's always a good idea to check especially if it's still under waranty. If there's anything wrong I'd send it back. There's no reason why you should have any thing less than perfect if it's new or under waranty. I'll see if I can find some other answers out for you.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have ran a disk clean uip and freed up nearly 7gb of the c partition.
Have scheduled a disk check which has just finished after a reboot and apparently the drive is completly fine , ? ? no problems then.

cable is seated correctly , , i have abandoned the reinstallation of the battlefield series and went straight onto the last reinstallation. Lead persuit game " GTR " a racing game has just installed perfectly without any error messages onto the D: partition , , just tried the battlefield series again, , , same error message :) :)

Only thing i can think of worth mentioning is , , after uninstalling the battlefield collection fro the C: partition, i still have the desktop icons there. Right clicking each of them to delete, , windows wont let me, , saying, something along the lines of "This is no longer located at C:\USERS\PUBLIC\PUBLIC DESKTOP , , VERIFY THE ITEMS LOCATION AND TRY AGAIN "
Dont know if thats got anything to do with it all, , but i cannot delete these icons, , ,is it worth re naming them then deleting them ? ?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I have seen other people having similar problems. I have not seen one just like yours, but they have been told to try running as administrator. You can eaither log in as administrator and try or

1) Open my computer
2) Right click your CD drive and select open
3) Right click the setup (Usually called setup.exe) and select run as administrator. I'll keep looking. Let me know if this works for you.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for the help guys , ,

Oreo, , will try the administrator thing in a little while, am just running another disk check just to be sure, but as the first check was fine, i have no reason to believe that the 2nd check will be any different.
Once the pc has rebooted, i will give the dvd drive thing a go

Thankyou guys ( and gals ? )

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Well, as i thought, the 2nd check turned out without error as the 1st one did.
On a lighter note, ,the old icons have now gone as as far as i am aware, there is nothing of the battlefield collection left anywhere on my machine.

I have just installed another game on the D partition without error.
Once again, i tried installing one of the battlefield games again and got the error again, , it actually says, , " THE DIRECTORY YOU HAVE SELECTED IS UNSAFE. PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER DIRECTORY "

Does that shed any more light on things ? ?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Problem solved . . . . i think.

Been having a bit of a dunce day really, , ,

I had completly deleted any trace of the games in question, , so, , , when i tried to reinstall them, the directory folder was gone as well. :)
I simply added a folder named battlefield on the D drive and selected that folder to install the games , , they are happily installing as i speak.

So, ,fingers crossed, i think ALL the problems are resolved , , i hope :)

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
A google for this sort of error shows up results that point to permissions issues with the installation. It may be trying to tell you that you won't be able to run the game after installing it.
Try creating a new directory using the user account that you're in now, preferably in the root of the D: drive and see if that helps.
Another thing to try is installing it to your C: drive to see if the error pops up. If it doesn't, it could be that the game thinks that it has to be on your C: drive in order to work.

Edited by usasma, 05 April 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
That is odd that it would pop up with that error as most installation programs would just create the folder. The only error message I have ever seen is one asking if you wanted the installer to create the folder for you. Oh well. At least we got this problem solved for you. Another one bites the dust. :)