Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card install

• Please log in to reply

MoMetal

MoMetal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This is in regards to my parents computer that I'm trying to help them with. It's a Gateway computer that has a mobo with a video driver built in, so the monitor plugs straight into the board. It also has the pci slot for a graphics card.

A few months ago they lost all their red in their monitor. After a series of trouble shoots I figured out its not the monitor or the cable but something in that "on board" video connection. I found them a decent graphics card on newegg (I'll post what type up later when I can find the box...) For a few months this fixed the problem. However recently a new problem has popped up. The monitor can't recieve a signal from the graphics card. If I plug it back into the onboard connection it works (minus the red). So as I see it there's something either wrong with the card or the pci slot for the card.

What I want to know is there anything I'm supposed to do differently when installing a graphics card on a mobo that has a built in one? Generally its unistall the old and install the new but since its a complettely different port is there somewhere I need to go to change anything to make sure it's paying attention to the card? Or am I most likly just looking at a bad card that needs replacing?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, its either the new graphics card you purchased or could be the pci slot/motherboard. I would be willing to bet that the "new" graphics card crapped out on you and you should be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer since it is so new. You would have to contact them.

What I would do:

What I want to know is there anything I'm supposed to do differently when installing a graphics card on a mobo that has a built in one?

• Hold down the Windows Logo key and then press pause/break key.
  • Select Hardware tab
  • Select Device Manager
  • Expand Display Adapter
  • Right Click on the on-board graphics card
  • Select Disable
Then...
  • Try a different PCI Slot if you have one, if that doesn't work...
  • Replace the card since its under warranty and use the on-board with no red color for now(as a back up solution)
  • Still no go? The pci slot or motherboard has gone out on you
  • Buy a new Computer, not worth it to just replace the motherboard in my opinion
I'm assuming when you installed the new card you installed the driver for it as well, or at least XP found a good enough one for you.

I hope that helps, and Good Luck!