Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card will not support 1600 x 900 resolution?

• Please log in to reply

technonot

technonot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running windows XP on a Dell 4500S desktop with Intel graphics controller 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV with what I believe to be the latest driver update (6.14.10.4342), I have connected a Dell SP2009W wide screen LCD monitor via the VGA inputs. I cannot set the resolution to the required 1600 x 900. The highest available is 1280 x 768, which results in a somewhat stretched out image. Intel says they no longer support this graphics card. Is there anyway I can fix this without replacing the graphics card? Maybe a video adapter? Tweaks? Suggestions and recommendations very much appreciated. I am trying to do this without putting more money in old PC.

Thank You

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

A graphics card and video adapter are one in the same. If the highest resloution your card can support is the one you have now, your only option is a new video card. Sorry.

Murray

richard the sceptic

richard the sceptic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you tried updating the bios?

This worked for my Dell Optiplex GX260. The original version of the bios was preventing the internal graphics from displaying widescreen resolutions.

Just go to the Dell site and find updates for your PC and download the newer bios if there is one. One restart later and i have 1600x900 at last...