Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi, i play video games and i recently bought a sound card and video card. after i bought the video card i had problems with the FPS in the game and my CPU usage went crazy. when im playing DOD the game often freezes almost every 10 seconds and leave me vulnarable to be attacked. i usualy die when this happens. also im spiking alot making it hard to play. im not sure if this is the video card foult or somethign else. last night i turned off my computer and turned it back on this morning. the computer started making a hissing/buzzing noise. some people say its the hard drive. im not a computer expert, i got this computer for my birthday from my brother. he knows what he's doing but he doesn't like helping anymore thats why im here. i dont knwo the type or make of my hard drive or what i need if i were to get a new one.

*how do i find out what i have
*What do i need or what do you think i should get?

thanks
Kaygen

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome. Lets see if I can help by getting the responses going. The spiking and freezing could be related to the memory in the unit not being enough. It could also be related to the video card.
The hissing could be almost anything. Such as the components on the main board, power supply, video card, or hard drive.

How old is the computer?
Is it a prebuilt (such as dell, HP, etc)?
or is it home made?
Is the computer bootable to windows?
Can you listen and try to determine where the noise is coming from?
When was the last time that the comp was cleaned out? I mean of dust build up on the fans and heat sink on the CPU and GPU?

Since you are a gamer, I can't help you with compatibility of your components, BUT, there are others that can.

If the comp is operational, download and run EVEREST from my signature. It will give you/ us info of your comp.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
That everest thing will help you and me find out all i need to know about my computer but when i try to unzip the downoad with winzip it says " WINZIP- Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive If you downloaded this file, try downloading it again."

hmmmmm...

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
NVM i tried the other download the foriegn one and it unzipped.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Im not sure what some of this stuff is but ill try to show you what you asked for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Brownsville D845GBV / Brownsville 2 D845GEBV2 / Rexburg D845GRG / Rexburg 2 D845GERG2
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV
System Memory 1270 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (06/26/03)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gateway( prebuilt i believe lol )
Windows XP SP2
I think the noise is coming from the hard drive b/c its not the cd drive or any of the fans. its an internal thing.
I have dust- off i sprayed almost everything. some parts are hard to reach. alot of dust came out of the big fan.( power supply?/ big box with clips and fan on outside pointing out)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
the report was so big i couldn't find anything on my hardrive. maybe i could send you the report?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Okay your original post problems are caused because, in a nutshell, your computer is too slow for what you're doing with it. Its not a gaming machine. Upgrade ability on a four year old machine like yours isn't really worth the effort when you consider that you can spend a little more and get something that will wipe the floor performance wise with it anyway. If you are developing an issue with the hard drive it really should be replaced ASAP if you value what's on it.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
its ok.. my computer is linked with my brothers network drive. i have pictures, movies, music, program install files, all that backed up.

im wondering would it be better to just get a new hard drive or save up for a new computer.. i cant get a new computer right now its just not possible unless i get a new one for my birthday.. i wouldn't have a clue what to get. probly from a $400 to $700 price range. my b-day is on the 18th so i might have a chance. oorrrrr should i get a new hard drive and see how it works out..

is it possible to buy a computer really really cheap with just the main parts. like cheaper if i dont buy the video card or sound card with it? that would be good. just bought that sh_t about a month ago.

also what kind of computer would i want to look for.. i have no clue.. i've only had a gateway. alls i would need is a computer that runs fast and can handle gaming. i dont take up alot of space on my computer. i have a 80gb hard drive and its only half full. what kind of properties should i look for. like specific stuff that i can find on it when i go to best buy or wherever..

THANKS

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
im getting a barebone kit so nvm heres a related post.
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is great my brother just introduced me into this barebone kit thing, and he's gunna hook me up with these items: TOWER: http://www.tigerdire.....u=M450-2314 G // FAN: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=K450-1109 // HARD DRIVE: http://www.tigerdire...mp;Sku=THD-80JB // i'm gunna pay him and he's gunna order the stuff. i think what he picked out is perfect for me. i hope they dont go out of stock. lol oh well check it out tell me what you think.

~Kaygen
------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.tigerdire...e...208&CatId=8

Get this hard drive, it has a much faster interface and you should notice an improvement (if you compared the two directly).

The kit looks reasonable, here's my thoughts: I don't think you would need the extra HSF unless you're going to do some massive overclocking... 2GB RAM would be much nicer... A Core 2 Duo would be much better than the Pentium D... But given your tight budget, it should be okay.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
cool, thanks. hey the video card: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1560 im going to get requires a DVI input on the monitor.. i've been looking around and some are DVI-D and i was wondering id DVD-D and DVI are both the same. i dont want to order the wrong monitor lol