Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to scan new HD for errors

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I just tried to run a windows disk error check on a new WD hd, and it would not make it past phase 4. Then I downloaded Western Digital diagnostics software. It was creeping with an estimated finish time of 60 plus hours. It also gave me some dismaying results with just the "smart disk info" for both my drives. The smart disk info in the top of the "SMART" box shows results that "predict imminent failure" for both my drives. This is also my first time ever checking my old hd with WD diag. software (Odd that I used Windows disk error check a few months ago on my older hd and it went fine. Also, regardless, everything "seems" to be working fine to my technologically inept perceptions with the not too uncommon things I do on the computer--word processing, web browsing, downloading, ripping, burning, and very infrequent music recording.) Anyway, I'm guessing this is pretty bad? I probably need to at least send this new hd straight back to Newegg, right?
(My png image files were too big for the 500k for some reason, so I had to use .pdf ... never mind, edited and submitted smaller size jpg images)

Attached Thumbnails

• 03_05_09_old_drive.jpg
  • 03_05_09_new_drive.jpg

Edited by moscatomg1, 07 March 2009 - 08:36 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The message at the top of the box says "monitors [the selected] drive [and] performance and predicts imminent failure." It'll say that always on the box. It's a standard label telling you what the point of that dialog is as opposed to a bunch of ticks and random numbers.
Anyway if its a brand new drive it'll be under warranty so if it does die, send it back.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
wow--what a noob mistake! Yeah, I should have figured all those Green checks meant things were at least relatively ok. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I'll try to check the disk for errors again tonight and see if it finishes. I'll post those results when I have them.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well despite the basic Smart disc info and checklist that indicates the drive is indeed working fine, I still can't get the WD diagnostics to do a complete scan for errors--not unless I have roughly 60 hrs to spare where I know I won't be using the computer. (The smaller drive (80 Gig) would accordingly take 8 hrs if I let it continue.) Is anyone aware of some software that does this HD error checking a bit more time efficiently?

(Again, the Windows disk error check also seems to not want to do it--at least not in a timely fashion...though I did attempt to run the window disk error check without either of the two suboptions of 1. Automatically fix file sys. errors and 2. Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. But without either of the options checked it seemed to run the utility far too quickly, in seconds, so I don't think it did anything.)

Edit: Could something about the 40 gig Norton Ghost image file be causing the lengthy scan time with the WD diagnostic.? If I delete that back up image file (the only thing on the drive right now) may it scan the drive for errors faster?

Edited by moscatomg1, 07 March 2009 - 11:01 AM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Edit: honestly, I'm not trying to bump this--I just keep reading and discovering things about the WD5000AAKB drive. First in avsforum.com there's this post (http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1072920) discussing that "WD drives with the suffix "AA" do not work" (though perhaps that was more addressing some particular A/V software mentioned therein) and then a critical comment in a newegg customer review about the Preemptive Wear Leveling (PWL). Also I read that quickformat with windows for a new hd is not at all recommended, which for the life of me I can't remember back 5 days ago if that was the option I choose...I'm suspecting possibly, since it seemed to format such a large hd pretty quickly (minutes). Then when I try to play for example a video file from this new hd the sound is "crunchy," but if I move that file back to my old hd and play it the sound is fine. So I'm ignorant about what may cause this--such as are other "drivers" needed for video and media related playback? Then I read that in addition to the WD diag. that WD has hd formatting tool ("data lifeguard tools") for free download. I wonder if there's danger in just deleting my backup files from the disk and trying to (re)format the hd with this tool to see if there's better performance (for a/v file playback, scanning disk for error utility, etc.) I guess this is all a lot of noob wariness, but thanks for any advice.