Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[HELP] Hp HDD to Dell HDD2 [OS not found]

• Please log in to reply

xWingz

xWingz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So heres the story,
One day i got avast the antivirus to whom seemed a good idea to mess with the boot files....so next boot BANG --- "Operating System not found"
The laptop is old, the cd doesnt work and also the hp freaking dowsnt want to boot from usb.
I also have an new Dell computer which have 2 hdd slots .However i dopnt get it how to put it in since the hdd thingy is too small for the thingie.The other hd looks exactly the same but its covered with a metal thingie to keep it there and i dont get it how to get rid of it -.- since it look stuck there.

[HELP]

Does anyone know other ways how to get rid of "Operating System Not Found" without cd?

If not , Are all HDD compatible with any pc?
(im planing to use my xp cd to install the os in the hdd...)

Does anyone how to make hp boot from usb?? (i get 'Boot Error' while using Netbootin to install ubuntu)

Any os that can b e installed from usb and works on hp??????

[HELP]

Thx in advance guys:d ^^

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.
I suspect that English is not your first language. I am having a very hard time understanding what you are asking and what you want to do. I will take a stab at it though.

The problem unit is a laptop. The other computer is a Dell. Is the Dell a laptop or a desktop/ tower?
A laptop hard drive will be smaller (2.5 inch) than a desktop hard drive (3.5 inch). So depending on what computer you have, I can not answer that question reliably. Also the older technology is ide and the newer technology is sata. They use different cables.

Not all computers have the option to boot from USB, especially the older ones. It is a limitation in the bios which is based on the configuration of the main board.

Please let us know what you need next.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Installing Windows XP Using A USB Flash Drive: http://www.pctipsbox...sb-flash-drive/
But, I'd make sure, that HP laptop hard drive is functional.
Two options:
1. If the laptop has floppy drive, you can make bootable floppy with hard drive diagnostic program on it.
2. Buy laptop hard drive USB enclosure, hook it up to Dell computer, and check, if the drive is seen by Dell.

xWingz

xWingz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx for your fast replies
@123Runner : yur right english is not my second language , im italian.Sry if i didnt make myself understood propertly.
Both my dell and hp are laptops , and i think the error is due a missing dll in the boot sector or something.
Im trying to install windows or run a repair so it will work , however the cd doesnt work on my hp.My idea was to switch the two laptops hdd so i can install/repair windows through the dell cd which works.

@Bbroni : i will check out that link but i dont get my hopes up becuse it couldnt read ubuntu usb.
the hdd is sure functional it worked neat until i installed avast.
theres no no floppy drive in the hp laptop -.-
Im not really a genius in hardware but i guess yur suggesting to buy an device which connects the hdd to the dell though an usb right? if so any idea where can i get one of those?

Thx again for replies ,
Hope i will find out how to fix this^^