Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! No signal from computer to monitor

• Please log in to reply

jadi929

jadi929

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well I have a compaq presario SR2034NX

here r the cpu specs:
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3250941

Heres the problemo:

Well so a few days ago I turn on my computer, only to find out that nothing would show on the monitor. The light on the monitor remains orange instead of green. So I figured its the monitor (i'v had problems with it in the past) and hood up my old CRT monitor to make sure its the monitor.

But the crt montor does the same thing. The light remains orange. Then i decided to open it up and see if i can pull out the video card and put it back in, i thought it would solve the problem.

But after looking for the video card, I realize that there is no video card, atleast not it in slot its supposed to be in. So now i'm supposing I have integrated graphics.

Anyway, can someone help me out here? what do you think is the problem?

I'm thinking of going out and buyin a cheap video card and try to see if that solves the problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your onboard video is gone.
Try putting in a video card if you have one laying around to test.
If no video card then test the monitors on a known working system to make sure they are working.
If that proves to show the monitors are working then your only option is to buy a new video card and install it in PCI Express x16 slot
This will allow for a upgraded card and better graphics. (Never a bad choice)
Make sure your PSU has the required power connection for the new video card.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I just hooked up my lcd with my laptop and it works great. Now to get me that video card...
Umm... which one is the pci express x16 slot? is it the black one with a tab on the side of it (pretty sure thats where the vid. card goes) or the white slot?

as u can probly tell, i'm a huge noob, so... Would you recommend me a nice video card with a reasonable price?

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
one more thing, whats the difference between a video card and graphics card? i'm supposing they're the same thing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

one more thing, whats the difference between a video card and graphics card? i'm supposing they're the same thing?

Same animal just different names

White slot is most likely standard PCI
Black slot with tab on it is most likely PCI Express.

Before I suggest a video card can you tell me what you use the system for ?
Is it for:
Games
Internet
Movies or Videos
Office or Business

This will determine what type and how high end you will need

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Same animal just different names

White slot is most likely standard PCI
Black slot with tab on it is most likely PCI Express.

Before I suggest a video card can you tell me what you use the system for ?
Is it for:
Games
Internet
Movies or Videos
Office or Business

This will determine what type and how high end you will need

Well i'm not big on gaming, i mostly use the internet and online shopping, etc.. I do watch videos and stuff, but nothing hardcore. i also use it for school work. yea, thats bout it :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK got it
Now what price range would you like to stay in?
Low to the highest and I will try to stay somewhere in the middle.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

OK got it
Now what price range would you like to stay in?
Low to the highest and I will try to stay somewhere in the middle.

well i'm not really looking to spend alot, preferably under 50 bucks. Hows this one?

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218049411944

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks good
Found it at TigerDirect for 10.00 cheaper but I think once you add in shipping it might be the same price.
It does have both Analog and Digital monitor connectors.
If you are using a LCD monitor you should have a digital cable that was included and can get an even better quality picture.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
i just picked up a galaxy geForce 8400

So i plug it in the start the computer with just the monitor cable and the power cable, and sure enough, it works!!

now when I connected the mouse and keyboard, they didn't work. So i decided to restart it, but after the restart it was back to the same old problem

now I managed to get it back on (with only the power and monitor cables attached) and now am trying to figure out how to get atleast the mouse working

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What kind of mouse and KB?
PS2 or USB?
Try just the KB hooked in and see if it will boot.
If that works then try the mouse without the KB.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
holy crap! it worked with just the keyboard, now should I try them both? or just the mouse?

the connection type is not usb for both, its the kind with the pins

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
yeeeh I tried it with just the mouse, reboot it and it works. Now let me just install the graphic drivers and then i'll deal with the other hardware

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
after installing the drivers and rebooting, i was able to get all the external hardware working properly (including the keyboard and the mouse.) I really appreciate your help. Thanks ALOT! this probably would have cost the double the amount if I had taken it to a repair shop. thanks again! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It probably would have cost alot more then that.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible