Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP WITH WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 10

• Please log in to reply

auzie88

auzie88

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i get this error message when i try to reinstall Windows Media Player.

"This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site."

How do i COMPLETELY uninstall windows media player 10? like going into the registry or something. i need it so i can see music videos on my myspace!! PLEASE help. thankss

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you go to add / remove is there a tick in show updates so you can remove it from there

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i already did remove it. i need helppp i did the tick thing already ahh sorry plz help!! i try to run the installer for either windows media 9 or windows media 10 and it doesn't work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you still have files from the player left, this should let you remove them.

MoveOnBoot

If you go to add / remove programmes then add / remove windows components and remove the tick from windows media player, then click next and apply

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks. i installed the boot thing. how do i work it? sorry for asking so many questions. i already ran it and deleted something in C:program files:windows media player but i can't delete the windows media player folder in C:program files. it's weird i can delete stuff in it..but yeah if u can help me how to delete that, or run the Boot Thing it'd be much appreciated. thanks!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can empty the folder, rename it.

You can also rename any files by putting .old after

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it says it can't delete it cuz it's already in use i closed everything basically including firefox (my browser).

do you know ANY way to go into the registry and delete the KEY or whatever? i've done it before for something, but yea..plzz help me out ok thanks. or any ideas would be appreciated.

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ahh help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start the run then type msconfig then start up then remove the ticks for anything to do with the player then reboot and remove it.

Or you can right click the taskbar then task manager then processes and end any player processes.

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok maybe its just being retarded but i click run and msconfig and the windows shows up but it disappears..and when i try to drag my mouse over to it it closes. i tried rebooting and shutting down but it won't work.

if i uninstalled service pack 2 and reinstalled, would windows media player work? if i could do it and get updates before/after uninstalling/installing service pack 2, gimme instructions and i'll do it. arghh this is really annoyin please help thnx pce

auzie88

auzie88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
can somebody please help??

StarkSilvercoin

StarkSilvercoin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there. Don't do anything rash. This is actually a simple problem that Microsoft actually does not even know how to fix.

C:\Windows\System32 is the file causing you h*** while trying to WMP 10. The solution is to navigate to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and copy wmploc.dll to C:\Windows\System32. It will replace the older file with the newer one.

Now, run the WMP 10 installer again and see what you get.