Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help installing windows

• Please log in to reply

darrenaustinshaw

darrenaustinshaw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For those of you familiar with the reformatting and installation process (more specifically with Dell computers) I ask for your advice! My computer was over ridden with viruses, and adware so I took it on myself to reformat. Although, I have done this three times before this time I don't get the help of Dell technical support (they suck but they helped me a lot, and my warranty expired). So, I have to do it all on my own. I've already deleted the previous partition and then installed the new version of windows xp. If my memory recalls at this point now I have to use the "Software Restore Disks" that came with my Dell. Is this correct? Anyway, I put the first of the disks in and boot from cd. Something called Power Quest comes up and I try to run the program but at 9% of that process an error comes up saying the image is invalid or corrupted. This is where I'm at right now. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to pay the 70 or so dollars to take it to geek squad. Thanks and anyone that can help me can either reply on this
Thanks to everyone!

Do not put email addressed in your post, it is for your safety!

Edited by Excal, 02 December 2008 - 10:11 PM.
Removed Email Address

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
I've done quite a few Dells in my time and the one thing I've found out is that the drivers on the Software Restore CDs are always old. There are always newer drivers on the Dell site.

What I advise is you visit Dell and search for current drivers for your machine. The first thing you need to install after Windows and before any other driver or program is the Chipset driver. Next comes the video driver, then the audio. After that, any other required driver can go in... ie, modem, wireless (if this is a laptop), etc.

The Software Restore CD has a lot of junk and addons that are not required for your computer to run effectively. In fact, much of the bloatware on those CDs serve no purpose. The best installations of XP are those without bloatware. Therefore it would serve you better to not allow any program to install on it's own, but rather choose only those programs you need.

If you cannot find the correct drivers you need, or need help identifying the correct drivers, post your machine model number and I'll assist you.

darrenaustinshaw

darrenaustinshaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is a Dimension 2400 (ahh, i know it sucks! i'm waiting to get a new computer for when i go to college)
Thanks for your help, also... Would i need to put these drivers on a cd then boot from THAT cd?
Thanks for helping such a noooooooooooooooooooob

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No you don't need to put them on cd, althouth it might help if you can't use a flash drive or something of that nature.

Here's the driver page for your computer... http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

Look down the list, and download the Chipset driver, and then the others you will need. Don't forget... the Chipset driver goes in first!

I won't be waiting around for you to do this, so pm me if you need more assistance.

Have fun!!!

darrenaustinshaw

darrenaustinshaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
posting this on the forum rather than pm.
Letting you know I am now up and running in Windows XP. figured everything out!
But before I go, can anyone recommend a good free anti-virus program and I'm thinking about using Knoppix (a version of linux) any comments?
Thanks!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hey! Glad to hear you got everything working! Personally, I use AVG 7.5. There is a newer version now and 7.5 will be discontinued this month, I believe. Give AVG a try as it's rated pretty highly for a free antivirus. There are others of course, but I can't comment because I don't use them.

Good luck!

Edited by makai, 06 December 2008 - 12:56 PM.