Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with "managing computer performance" ?

• Please log in to reply

Alias775

Alias775

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I was looking through the help section for help about messages of "low virtual memory". My computer fix-it woman tells me I have my computer totally overloaded. I've deleted hundreds and hundreds of MB', large programs and even bought a 'storage vault' outside my computer and put loads there.

But nothing helps. Here's an example, I got Google's Picassa image program and it actually dug up images clear back to 2003! I deleted them, but I can't figure out where the so-called archives are to go and get rid of all of it. If you can guide me there, I'd love it!

SECONDLY, while I was reading the help section, it said I could allocate more processor time to a current project. If this is true it would be heaven for me! I'm using a highly sophisticated online web site builder and my computer just terribly labors over it. I can't do anything else because it will crash if I do. Please give me instructs how to add more space while working on this programa?

Thanks! Alias775 :) :) :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Started a new topic an dposted reply there. Here is that post Broni.

I'm constantly running into "low virtual memory" problems. I'm designing a web site at a high tech designing site that uses my memory as I build pages.

It's so bad that each time I save a page I've created, it takes nearly 3 hours to save it and I can't do anything on the net or it will crash!

Broni asked for my computer and security info:

I have an Intel Pentium III (about 10 yrs old!)
It says it has 863MHz and now with 192 MB RAM

I looked for the hardware he asked for. It says I have "Standard Disk Drives"
Says C: is WDC WD200BB-75AUA1

I use AVG for anti-virus and I have Sygate for my firewall. I love them both. Hope I don't have to change them.

I have three computer dummie questions. 1) I've gone so far as to buy a 10 GB Vault and put everything I could in it. It costs $10/mo and doesn't seem to help me at all with my problems. So, I'm asking if the computer uses the Program Folders as it operates? The Program Folders take up almost 2 GB. I've loaded them into the Vault. I'm just scared to delete from the computer because I don't know if they're being used????

2) I read in XP's PC performance Help Section that I can allot more time while working on a particular project. What steps do I take to do this?

3) Somehow - there seems to be "archives" somewhere that I should be deleting and I've searched and evidently they're not accessible. I can't find them. How can I get to them and delete years worth of unused stuff???

Anything you guys can tell me will really help! I'm trying desparatly to build this web site and it's taking a complete day to do just 1 or 2 pages! I'll never get done at this rate! I'm constantly waiting on hour glasses for 10 min at time!

You guys have been awesome to me! I want to thank you for assisting us poor dummies about our problems!

Alias775 thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I forgot to tell you.. Broni also asked for me to look up my free space and I did.
It says I have 3.11 GB free space.
Thanks again, Alias775

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I forgot to tell you.. Broni also asked for me to look up my free space and I did.
It says I have 3.11 GB free space.
Thanks again, Alias775

You have a few things fighting you that are going to take time to resolve if you want to do web design.

You have a 20gb drive with 3.11gb free. That is 6.43% free. Windows needs 15 % to operate properly for swap space and to be defragged.
You have ram (memory) of only 192mb.

Your overall best solution is a new computer. Yours is over 10 years old.

You need to increase memory.
You need to increase hard drive space.
You need to defrag the drive.
================================================================================
============

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

================================================================================
===============
Then see if we can defrag the drive.
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download
=================
Lets see if the computer will take more memory. Try the following checkers.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

123runner