Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help? not sure if this is because of windows or not?

• Please log in to reply

Cruelsummer

Cruelsummer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First off not sure if this is caused by Windows or what thought i would post it here any help would be amazing thanks in advanced.

Hi everyone im new here and have a computer problem with my friends family computer. Ok well here is the problem she has an older say Pentium III 800 Mhz computer i think? I know its an older computer but they don't use it for much and have slow dial up internet as they are in the country so would just like to get it working again.

Anyways, ok heres the situation when you press the power button all the lights flash for a little bit it seems like the power supply fan starts to work it attempts to load but then turns off.... so we flick the switch on the back of the power supply to off then to back on and attempt again it does the same thing lights up the lights on the front they flash for a little bit and then they turn off VERY RARELY does the computer actually boot up and i believe it has not been able to turn on for at least a few weeks now if not a month.

Does anyone have ANY idea what it could be????? Please any suggestions would be great.

I know the easy solution would be go out buy a brand new computer but as of right now money is tight as it is with everyone it seems so they would rather just attempt to fix this one as they only use it for minor things like chatting and such. I thank you all in advanced for any help you can give and have a nice day.

Advertisements

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
- disconnect the peripheral devices
- main power switch >> out
- wait 2 - 3 min. and power on
what happens ?

Cruelsummer

Cruelsummer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi its my friends computer and all they had connected was a usb mouse and the monitor speakers were disconnected as they didn't work well. They have kept trying to power it on for weeks now but same thing keeps happening the "all the lights flash for a little bit it seems like the power supply fan starts to work it attempts to load but then turns off..." very rarely does it catch. Any suggestions?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Cruelsummer and welcome to Geeks to Go.

My very 1st suspicion is that the power supply is bad.

A power supply (psu) will have a 5vdc as a standby voltage so it is in a ready condition.
When you push the power button (it is connected to the board), it sends a momentary signal to the PSU to turn on the rest of the way.
The 12vdc and 3.3 vdc is now applied to the board and to the other devices (hard drives, CD drives, etc)and the computer will start to boot.

How PC power supplies work

Since you have it starting and then turning off immediately, that tells me the switch is ok.
The main board could be bad and pulling the power supply down. The hard drive and CD drives could also be doing the same thing.
Lets look at the PSU 1st.
The easiest way to test the PSU is to put another one in. Not knowing the make and model, I can not recommend anything.
This is because some computers like Dell and HP have proprietary parts (parts off the shelf from any supplier won't work.

Are you ok with opening the case?
NOTE: I really do not believe that the following will work because I do suspect the PSU.
If so....for testing only (make sure the computer is off and unplugged)
Remove the power connectors going to the hard drive and the CD drives. These are white 4 pin molex connectors.
This will eliminate some required power going to these devices. It might be enough to at least keep the lights on.
NOTE: You will not boot because the drive is disconnected, but should at least get something on the screen if the devices are pulling the power down.

Can you get the make and model of the computer in question?
Also look on the PSU and get the specs. esp the wattage.

123runner

Cruelsummer

Cruelsummer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi 123runner and thanks for the warm welcome :).

I bought a 250 Watt power supply from a guy selling it for very cheap in my area i am hoping that it will work. I must say thank you for the description and explanation of how the power supply unit works i had no idea it starts loading and then the rest of it takes over i was pretty puzzled at why it wasn't booting up i thought it might be like a cpu fan wasn't working and it was overheating which they had a problem with prior before and had to replace the cpu fan but that is fine.

I honestly don't know much specs on the PC but i am guessing Intel Pentium III around 900 Mhz or so roughly around that area will a 250 Watt power supply be enough? He had a 200 Watt also but i figured it was better to get the 250 Watt he had.

Sorry i don't have more information about the PC its just my friends and her and her mother don't know much about computers so cant really ask them. Also i asked my friend she said her mom would most likely be fine with me opening the case and taking it apart as it is basically not working at all and if i could fix it for the cost of the power supply and rather the technician costs would be great.

Many thanks again as the information you have provided me with so far has been wonderful hope to hear back from you soon bye.

Cruelsummer

Cruelsummer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It should be sufficient enough right? get back to me thanks. Might be heading home next weekend want to be prepared if i can.