Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijacked Desktop and Millions of Pop-ups[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

oski

oski

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Something has taken control of my desktop. The image shows a blue screen and the following text:
Security warning
A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM(01) + 00010E36. Error was caused by Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c

I found a website that perfectly described it, but no fix:
http://www.sophos.co...ojfakealea.html

I also have millions of pop-ups. Could these 2 be related as they started around the same time. Have run AD-Aware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware but to no avail.
Any help really appreciated.

Oski

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski and welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

1. Go to Geeks to Go
. Click on My Controls at the top right hand corner of the window. (make sure you have signed in first)
. In the left hand column, click "View Topics"
. If you click on the title of your post, you will be taken there

2. Also, while at the My Controls page, check the box to the right of your post and then scroll down.
.Where it says "unsubscribe" click the pull-down menu and select "immediate email notification"

3. Before I am able to analyze your log, you must read the information provided in the following link and do everything that is indicated from step 1 through step 5. Stop after installing HijackThis in its own folder. The folder should look something like this C:\HijackThis\HijacktThis.exe when you are finished. These steps often drastically reduce the number of problems we have to contend with and get you up and running much faster.

You Must Read This Before Posting A Log

Regards,

Trevuren

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,
I have posted AD Aware log and will do the other stuff before doing HiJack This.
Thanks,
Oski

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

My experience has taught me that smithfraud can often require a reg.fix for a complete and fast removal.

An ad-aware log won't really help me at this point. I need an HJT log.

If you are getting help elsewhere, please inform me so I can close this thread.

Regards,

Trevuren

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,
The instructions you sent me suggested I do 5 things before doing the HJT log. The first one was send an Adaware Log. Should I just skip the other and send an HTJ log? I do appreciate your help especially as I'm getting pop-ups literally every 5 seconds!
Cheers,
Oski

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

Just send the HJT log, please. We can always keep the Ad-aware one for later, if required, because it is usually very long.

Regards,

Trevuren

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,
Hope I did this correctly.
Here is my HJT log. Thank you!
Oski

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:44:03 PM, on 5/3/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\msole32.exe
C:\WINNT\popuper.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\intmonp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Oski1.OSKI\Desktop\Downloads\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series (Copy 2)] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P32 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series (Copy 2)" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C2880988-CB38-4EAB-9E5F-EEBC0E27E1BB} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C2880988-CB38-4EAB-9E5F-EEBC0E27E1BB} - (no file) (HKCU)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

That was perfect

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

I need to disable your Microsoft AntiSpyware Real-time Protection as it may interfere with the fixes.Open Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Click on Tools, Settings.
In the left pane, click on Real-time Protection.
Under Startup Options uncheck: Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware Security Agents on startup (recommended).
Under Real-time spyware threat protection uncheck: Enable real-time spyware threat protection (recommended).
After you uncheck these, click on the Save button and close Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Right click on the Microsoft AntiSpyware icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware

Now let's do some work on your log:

We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.

Close all browser windows and RUN HijackThis.
. Click the SCAN button to produce a log.

Place a check mark beside each one of the following items:

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C2880988-CB38-4EAB-9E5F-EEBC0E27E1BB} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C2880988-CB38-4EAB-9E5F-EEBC0E27E1BB} - (no file) (HKCU)

Now with all the items selected, delete them by clicking the FIX checked button. Close the HijackThis window and Reboot Your System in Safe Mode

How To Start To Safe Mode In Windows 2000

*Turn the computer on
*When you see the black-and-white Starting Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, start tapping the F8 key.
*The Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu will appear.
*Choose the Safe mode option. (it is usually the first item in the list).
*Use the arrow keys to select it if it is not selected by default.
*Press Enter. The computer will start in Safe mode.
*when finished troubleshooting, close all programs
*restart the computer as you normally would

Using Windows Explorer, locate the following files, and DELETE them (if they are present):

C:\WINNT\system32\msole32.exe
C:\WINNT\popuper.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\intmonp.exe

Exit Explorer, and REBOOT BACK INTO NORMAL MODE

Finally, RUN Hijackthis again and produce a new HJT log. Post it in the forum so we can check how everytjhing looks now.

Regards,

Trevuren

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,

I followed the procedure you suggested. Thanks for all your help.
Oski
Here is the log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:21:06 PM, on 5/4/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Oski1.OSKI\Desktop\Downloads\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series (Copy 2)] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P32 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series (Copy 2)" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

How is your system running?

Regards,

Trevuren

Advertisements

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,
I can't believe it! I just let my computer sit on Google for 15 minutes and I got zero pop-ups! You're the man!

I still do have a hijacked dektop background, blue screen saying:
A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM<01>+00010E36. Error was caused by Trojan Spy.HTM.smitfraud.
(when I right click on the desktop, and go to Properties, I can't access background)
However, getting rid of the pop-ups is a big improvement and I am indebted to you. Is there any way to get rid of the hijacked desktop?
Also, how can I minimize reinfection (of pop-ups and other problems).
What do you think of:
MICROSOFT ANTI SPYWARE
SPYBOT
CW SHREDDER
POP UP STOPPER FREE EDITION
ZONE ALARM
PC CILLIN
NORTON ANTI VIRUS

Thanks for all your help. I was literally getting a pop-up every 5 seconds before you fixed it!
Oski

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

Try this,

Is your desktop background hijacked also then? If it is, then do this also:

Right click on http://www.greyknigh...pairDesktop.reg and download that file. Double click on it and click on Yes when it asks you if you want to merge it into the registry. Once that's done, restart your computer.

Login as usual and now right click on your Desktop and go to Properties. Next go to Desktop tab->Customize Desktop button->Web tab. Uncheck everything listed there. Then delete all the entries listed except for 'My Current Home Page'. Click OK and OK.

Regards,

Trevuren

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Trevuren,
I followed the intstructions. It got rid of the annoying blue background and error message; now I just have a black background. However, when I went to Desktop -Properties, there is no "Desktop" tab. There is one called "Background" but when I attempt to select a Background, and Apply it, the screen remains black. So, I guess I'm rid of the annoying blue, but still don't have control of the desktop background. Thanks for your help.

Oski

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Attached File  Doc1.doc   49KB   59 downloadsTrevuren,
Here's a screen shot of my desktop I meant to include. It's a word attachment.
Thanks,
Oski

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi oski,

Try this:

Click "Start", "Settings", and then click "Control Panel". Open the "Display" applet.
Click on "Desktop", "Customise Display..." and "Web".
In the box under "Web pages" look for a checkbox named "Security". If found select it and click "Delete".

Regards,

Trevuren