Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Resize (Enlarge) A JPG File . . .

• Please log in to reply

brsturzljr2

brsturzljr2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there!

I want to take a small JPG file and enlarge it . . . I can do this by zooming in on the image, but then distortion sets in and makes everything blurry. Is there a program that will do this resizing of the file AND still retain a clear picture?

They use these kinds of programs on television in police and crime scene stories. They zoom in on a part of a picture and then enlarge it. The image is blurry, but then with the click of a button or so, the image clears and is as sharp as it was before, but the small part they zoomed in on is as large as their computer monitor.

Am I hoping for too much OR if such a program exists is it incredibly costly?

Thanks! in advance to those who reply for your diligent assistance.

All the Very BESTest in 2006!

Cheers! -- Bruce

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't always believe what you see on TV. The closeups you see that they do are just that . They start with the close up and keep moving out to expand the picture. Reversing this makes it look like they are zooming in with great resolution.

To answer your problem, there is not a lot you can do. Most of the pictures on the internet have a pixel count of 72. This can be increased and will let you resize a picture larger but it does have a point of no return. Usually you can triple or more the PPI of a photo and be able to almost double the size. After that there will always be some blurring. I do this quite often. I can set the PPI(pixels)from 72 to 200 or 300 and take a 640x480 picture to about 1200x800 with only a slight blurring. The programs i use also let me use a directional sharpen to offset some of the blurriness. The smaller the pictures the harder it is to enlarge and still get good definition.

From photo.net website.

You need at least 200 pixels-per-inch for photographic quality. So for a 4x6 proof print to stick on the fridge, an 800x1200 image will be fine. For an 11x14 you'll want 2200x2800 (6 megapixels).

The programs i use are Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo-Paint.

SRX660

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
If you started off with a small file size (150K) - that was all the camera captured or that was the size of the image you copied - it will NOT get better but worse as you enlarge. You start with a 12meg file you go enlarge an AWFUL lot and not get blur. There are some programs that help with that blurring (pixelizing) problem but it can only do so much, especially to a small file.

Sorry Bruce but it sounds like you'll not be able to do what you want.