Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you burn a DMG. file on your PC?

• Please log in to reply

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi I have a dmg. file that I want to burn on my PC so that I can install the data onto my mac. However I'm not sure which program can do this for me. Anybody have any ideas on how to get a dmg. file onto cd?

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a .DMG file on a Windows PC it's likely you have a Macintosh file and you won't be able to use what is in it. Some sites distribute for the PC in an .EXE file and for the Mac in a .DMG file; make certain you have the version designed for your system. On a Windows PC the dmg2iso program will convert a .DMG file to an .ISO file which can then be burned to a CD or read using an .ISO file reader.

You have to run the dmg2iso program at a command prompt using the same command as listed on the site for the Perl version, substituting .EXE for .PL in the command.

DMGs can be password-protected and, if so, may not be mountable by some software. The DMG file also comes in different formats: HFS, HFS+, UFS, ProDOS, Linux, and Fat32 and so may also require special mounting software to account for the format. IsoBuster can interpret these files directly as can other programs such as UltraISO.

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

w32 binary version

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

If you have a .DMG file on a Windows PC it's likely you have a Macintosh file and you won't be able to use what is in it. Some sites distribute for the PC in an .EXE file and for the Mac in a .DMG file; make certain you have the version designed for your system. On a Windows PC the dmg2iso program will convert a .DMG file to an .ISO file which can then be burned to a CD or read using an .ISO file reader.

You have to run the dmg2iso program at a command prompt using the same command as listed on the site for the Perl version, substituting .EXE for .PL in the command.

DMGs can be password-protected and, if so, may not be mountable by some software. The DMG file also comes in different formats: HFS, HFS+, UFS, ProDOS, Linux, and Fat32 and so may also require special mounting software to account for the format. IsoBuster can interpret these files directly as can other programs such as UltraISO.

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

w32 binary version

I know its a Macintosh file - I HAVE A MAC. But the DMG is on my pc and I want to burn it to a CD so my Mac can read it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

Hi I have a dmg. file that I want to burn on my PC

Are you unable to put it in a folder then copy the folder to CD as data then put that on the MAC

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i've tried that already - the file is to big

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How big

Too big for DVDRW as you only need to transfer it

Are they networked

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
hey yea i dont even have a DVDR in my pc, just the mac...but by network what do you mean? I have a router and the mAc is wireless..my pc is the master

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can already transfer files between them it may take a while but should work

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
really - how would i go about doing that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a read here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=598439

If you need anything with that, please post a new topic in the networking forum