Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Block Win XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you don’t want to install SP3 right now, please refer to the following steps to block it so it will not be offered:

1. Download the file from the following link:
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d7c9a07a-5267-4bd6-87d0-e2a72099edb7&DisplayLang=en

2. Run the file and the SP Blocker Tool window would pop-up.
3. Click Yes and then "Browser" to locate a folder we would use to save the files. For example: C:
4. Click 'OK' and the file would be saved in C:
5. Open My computer and double click to open C drive.
6. Double click to run the "SPBlockingTool.exe" program and we will receive an "Action successfully completed" notice.

After that, SP3 would not be pushed from Windows Update website and Automatic Updates.

From Micro$oft: See Post #14.

For Help and Support: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 May 2008 - 04:04 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Major Payne,

Any reason why XP users would not want SP3 to be installed? The question just begs after reading your post.

Cheers

Troy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yep. Depending on many factors, which are indicated in another email I received from M$ Support and partially quoted below, some computers will just plain crash and not be re-bootable. It's a decision each person has to make after looking at the benifits versus the headaches you may have. If you know you have totally backed up all files you want to keep and have your Win XP CD ready, then give it a shot. SP3 may install for you with no problems. Otherwise, you will find out that every option you can select doesn't work to be able to boot again. A full format is not required, but a new install of Win XP will be needed. Then you will have to replace all missing drivers you needed as well as re-install the programs you have still listed in c:\Program Files\ as the se will not work in most cases. After all, the Registry keys for many programs are lost and certain *.DLLs will be there but the paths to them make them "missing"

Excerpts from last email:

Thank you for your reply. I understand that you would like to know if we can install SP3 later if we block SP3. Now you have not tried to install Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit to block SP3.

Ron, I would like to explain that we can install SP3 later if you would like to install it after blocking it now. We block SP3 in order to avoid SP3 is offered by Automatic Updates or Windows Update.

Though SP3 has included all the previous updates, if SP3 crashes the system for causing certain issue or you don't want to install it right now, we can temporarily block it from installing and it would not affect our security level if we have other updates installed. If you don't want to install it now, please refer to my previous email to block it. Thank you for your understanding.

If you still would like to install SP3, please let me know which processor you are using. I also would like to confirm if the system is preinstalled by the computer manufacturer.

As your original computer is Dell, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer Dell first before installing SP3. Please ask them if any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for SP3. Thank you for your understanding on this issue.

Please let me know your thoughts at your earliest convenience. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you for your time. I am standing by for your reply.

Best Regards,

Amy

SP3 does have it problems and I hope it's for only a few people that wish to install it. Better if there were no conflicts at all, but Micr$oft is aware of them and trying to fix SP3.

Ron