Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard. The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Advertisements

Zylaw

Zylaw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for this tutorial - I hadn't noticed the beeping previously, but recently I've been getting a beep during start-up and was starting to freak-out that something ELSE was wrong with my old clunker Inspiron 8500. Now I can relax, I guess. Thanks again (btw, what means "POSTed," please?) Yours, Zylaw

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
POST means Power On Self Test, so POSTed means it passed this test. This is a good general list but sometimes they can be motherboard or more commonly bios manufacturer specific so you may want to check your owners manual.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 25 December 2008 - 08:07 PM.

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
What about the beep that my computer makes when a virus has been detected by AntiVir?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
There would be no way to interpret that

If you got malware you would have to go to the malware removal forum

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

There would be no way to interpret that

If you got malware you would have to go to the malware removal forum

I'm not saying I have one now per se. I was just asking if it was a specific beep.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you sure the beep was coming through the system speaker? (i.e. not your normal audio output speakers)

EDIT: Either way, it's not related.

Edited by Troy, 05 January 2009 - 09:05 PM.

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Are you sure the beep was coming through the system speaker? (i.e. not your normal audio output speakers)

EDIT: Either way, it's not related.

I also use AntiVir and I'm sure that it's coming from the system speaker because I can still hear it if I have no sound card installed.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
System alerts will come across as a single beep (sometimes a beep that rises in pitch) over the PC Speaker if no sound card is detected. Virus detection will use a system alert to alert you because of this. It will only be one beep and it is constant across ALL system alerts. So there is no way to interpret it.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 06 January 2009 - 10:31 PM.

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

System alerts will come across as a single beep (sometimes a beep that rises in pitch) over the PC Speaker if no sound card is detected. Virus detection will use a system alert to alert you because of this. It will only be one beep and it is constant across ALL system alerts. So there is no way to interpret it.

I already have a sound card installed and the alert is still coming from the system speaker. It isn't just a single beep, it's a series of beeps that gets higher each time.

Edited by QuizMaster, 07 January 2009 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
The Avira beep is like the StickyKeys beep, even if I had the speakers off, I'll still hear the beep (more like a tune).

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's still not a system beep, and can't be interpreted as such. It's a program alert.

KBUWerks1

KBUWerks1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Very good tutorial indeed. :)

I truly didn't realize the different variety of beeps and there meaning.

KBUQuest

AlexBlack

AlexBlack

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I must say, I was aware that one beep was good, but never realized that there was so many combinations to what is wrong with the system. Really makes it easy to troubleshoot hardware

andrew wyatt

andrew wyatt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I am trying to find Beep codes for Windows XP - I am taking comptia A-Plus Exam, and although book advises me to read motherboard manual, The practice tests keep coming up with them, same with Error codes.Internet is not a big help either ( except this forum)

Thanks,
Andy.