* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How-to remove VirusRescue, SpyAxe, SpywareStrike, SpySheriff, Winhound and Smitfraud using noahdfear's smitRem.exe removal tool

SpyAxe:
spyaxe_popup.jpg

SpywareStrike:
Spywarestrike.jpg

SpySherriff:
SpySheriff.jpg

Winhound:
winhound.gif

Smitfraud:
Smitfraud.jpg

Will also remove: PestTrap, Security IGuard, SearchMaid, Antivirus Gold (AVGold), PSGuard, VirtualMaid, SpyTrooper, VirusRescue and others in the smitfraud family.

Credit: noahdfear

1. Download smitRem.exe ©noahdfear, and save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

2. Place a shortcut to Panda ActiveScan on your desktop.

3. Please download AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=asf

Please read AVG Anti-Spyware Setup Instructions (formerly Ewido)
Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.

4. If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, follow these download and setup instructions, otherwise, check for updates:
Ad-Aware SE Setup
Don't run it yet!

5. Next, please reboot your computer in SafeMode by doing the following:
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
6. Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed.

7. Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

8. Run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
  • When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop.
Close ewido anti-malware.

9. Next go to Control Panel click Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

10. Reboot back into Windows and click the Panda ActiveScan shortcut.
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button.
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button.
    • Enter your Country
    • Enter your State/Province
    • Enter your e-mail address and click send
    • Select either Home User or Company
    • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When the download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location.
Posted Image If anything suspicious is found, or any problems persist, please post the contents of the Panda scan report, along with a HijackThis Log, the contents of smitfiles.txt and the Ewido Log in our Malware Removal Forum.

Have you've found the smitRem.exe removal tool useful? Please consider a donation to the author: Dave's World (noahdfear).

Notes:
1. For 98/ME, add to the control panel instructions (step 11) as follows: (thanks flrman1 :tazz: )

Remove the check by "View my Active desktop as a web page".
Click OK then Apply and OK.

2. It could be possible, after reboot that the system is using the windows classic theme again.
To restore this and set it back to XP-theme, rightclick on your desktop > properties > tab Appearances and choose Windows XP style again under windows and buttons.
Click apply and OK.

3. Windows 98 users may get a sharing violation error and smitRem stops when trying to delete oleadm.dll (oleext.dll). This is because it's hooked by the infected wininet. Pressing F will allow the tool to complete.

=====================================================================
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.

Important Note: If you need assistance, please start a new topic in our Malware Removal Forum. This topic is also open for comments, but not all will receive a reply.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This topic has been left open to allow specific questions and comments related ONLY to this guide. It's NOT for posting HJT logs, links to your logs, or any other general malware help. Replies not following these rules will be deleted. Thanks for your cooperation.

LATIN

LATIN

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
what if ewido dont exist any more? and you have installed :

ewido anti-spyware 4.0 will now continue under the new product name AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5. AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 contains the same ewido technology, but with some further enhanced features:

and you get errors when trying to run it

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Ewido has been renamed AVG Anti-Spyware. I've updated the instructions to reflect the name change. Please post your issue with AVG Anti-Spyware not running in either the Applications or Malware forum.

hesham

hesham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Gents,

First of all thank your great efforts and your helpful site.

My operating system is windows Vista home edition
I am getting pop ups every 10 mins (spyaxe , winhood) and I am not able to remove any of them.
I'd run the Norton Antivirus 2008 but nothing appears infected.
I'd run SuperAnti spyware and the system looks clean.
I tried to follow your instructions to remove this kind of spywares but I was not sure whether it'll work with Windows vista or not ?
Moreover, I was afraid to install AVG antivirus and at the same time i have Norton anti virus.
I tried to scan with Panda online scan, but every time it opens a blank window without any action.

so I don'k know what to do ?..

Thanks in advance for your help and quick reply.

Regards,
Hesham

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi and welcome as you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

bustermoves

bustermoves

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
had a problem with titan shield anti spy ware,of course ,didnt know i had a problem till i upgraded to avg8.0 free.ran that the first time and it found 22000 problems.about fell off my chair.and that was with adwre 2007 and spy bot run regularly.long story short titan kept coming back.so i found here thru hijack this.read somewhere titan is simalar to spy sheriff,so i followed the tutorial for spy sheriff,and many scans and hours later thought i had it fixed.avg ran next day and was ok.next day it was back,said what the heck.was getting flustered cause this would not fix.finally decided to do the regedit thing.did the find thing ,and didnt find anything.tried anther entry,nothing.said hmmm.finaly found it after searching for the file thru its description,hklm sytem blah blah whatever it was .anyway finaly found the 4 entries it said i had ,deleted them from the registry,and havnt had any problems since.probably wasnt the best way to fix it ,but as i said it fixed the problem.any suggetions for next time would be helpful.oh,and sorry for being so long winded

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
In the future it would be better to post in the Malware Removal forum as we can ensure it is all gone, and is a lot safer that way

Glad that you have it removed though

Daivon

Daivon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, I have ad-aware 2007 and it doesn't work in safe mode

Glorious.Toast

Glorious.Toast

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is Smitfraud the same as Smitfraud-C or Smitfraud-C.CoreService?

Advertisements

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Yes, they are all part of the Smitfraud family.

tzeejun

tzeejun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What does Smitfraud actually do to the computer? is it okay if i were to leave it there untouched?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Given a day or two your computer would slow to a crawl , other vermin will appear and you may end up with password stealers. So the answer is NO cure it now

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

drblank

drblank

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

I'm a new and confused.

Right now I am trying to remove SpyAxe w/ Noahs fix. All was going well until I tried to install AVG Anti Spyware. I have Norton installed and AVG is telling me it cannot install w/ another anti virus program running. I tried disabling Norton to install AVG w/ no luck. Must I go to Add/Remove to uninstall Norton to proceed ?

Thank you in avance for any help, advice, or plain old encouragment.

Regards,

Dennis

P.S. I may also be infected w/PS Guard...

Edited by drblank, 23 October 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would leave the AVG step, it isn't essential

I would run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware instead, you can find the instructions for it here

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.