Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge Problem.. HELP

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
OK. Here's the story. I am installing Norton 2006 when it comes up with an error. I click ok and the computer restarts. On restart all the associations are missing to my programs, everything shows up as .lnk and the control panel, my computer, etc will not open. I go into safe mode. Same thing. I tried running exefix but it just tells me that there is no association and it can't run. I'm guessing the registry is corrupted but if I can't run anything is there a way to fix it? I can't even get to system restore. Thanks for you help in advance. I need this computer badly as there is a ton of financial information on this one.

Edit: This is a XP Professional machine.

Edited by dnbfreak, 11 May 2006 - 12:01 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

<credit for canned speach ~ Keith>

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I pulled that up and after I typed in the command.. it just comes up with a blank window. It is titled 'System Restore' but it's just white. I can't pick anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in windows do start > run > regedit.com and tell me if regedit comes up

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Nothing comes up, no regedit, not cmd, not msconfig, all I can do is hit the browse button and view the files. The files all have those unassociated icons though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you find regedit.exe in the c:\windows folder? if so...can you right click on regedit.exe and choose copy...then paste it into the same folder (this should now make a file called "copy of regedit.exe") now change the file extension on that to .com (you may have to click on tools > folder options > view > uncheck "hide extensions for known file types") then open that

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I changed it to .com and it won't let me run that either. It just tells me that there is no association and to select an association blah blah.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
save this to your desktop...extract the file to the desktop then right click it and choose merge

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
merge doesn't show on the right click menu

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
any more ideas on this??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you by chance have your xp cd?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
yeah I have the cd.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I had thought about doing an XP Repair last night but figured I'd wait and see what the pro's said :whistling:

Thanks dsenette. You rock as always!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it should work...