Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM R51E: Formatting New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

katnip

katnip

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have a IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R51e that has a 40GB hard drive. I'll soon be at the capacity limit and I'm going to upgrade the internal hard drive to an 80GB.

My laptop is under warranty until May 2009, will it void the warranty because I'm not buying the hard drive directly from IBM? (IBM's price is $261.00 compared to my purchase of a Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 5700rpm PATA interface for $47.00)

Prior to installing the 80GB hard drive I hope someone can help me with some of these questions.

The Windows XP Pro was factory installed by IBM/Lenovo. Will it recognize the program to install it?

Will all of my Product Recovery CDs still work with formatting the new hard drive back to the Factory Default setting?

Will I need to create any additional disk that I may need prior to restoring to Factory Default setting?

I have read about problems of hidden partition and password issues. I did try to research the issues, but the more I read the more my head started spinning.

I'd truly appreciate any knowledge that any of you may offer.

Sincerely,
Kat

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well as far as the warranty i'd say it would probably void it but i don't work for ibm so you would want to contact them. second I'm not sure what or if ibm/lenovo uses something to validate the computer... some companies tatoo the hard drive so that it recognizes the recovery disks and some tatoo the motherboard bios.... Some also use the recovery disk as a launcher and actually do the restore from a hidden partition on the hard drive...

If you have a windows xp pro OEM disk and the license on the computer you should be able to use that to reinstall but that would only put windows on and you'd still need to find drivers and anything else you might want installed... unfortuanately I can't give you any more details as different models made by the same company can have different ways of doing things...

probably your best source unless someone here is familiar with that model... is either google or lenovo website or possibly their support line...

good luck

katnip

katnip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

well as far as the warranty i'd say it would probably void it but i don't work for ibm so you would want to contact them. second I'm not sure what or if ibm/lenovo uses something to validate the computer... some companies tatoo the hard drive so that it recognizes the recovery disks and some tatoo the motherboard bios.... Some also use the recovery disk as a launcher and actually do the restore from a hidden partition on the hard drive...

If you have a windows xp pro OEM disk and the license on the computer you should be able to use that to reinstall but that would only put windows on and you'd still need to find drivers and anything else you might want installed... unfortuanately I can't give you any more details as different models made by the same company can have different ways of doing things...

probably your best source unless someone here is familiar with that model... is either google or lenovo website or possibly their support line...

good luck

That help a lot! I know when I put the 80GB hard drive in, it will void the warranty. This is what was one of my concerns:

http://www.mydigital...vice-partition/

You were so right about where that may be on that 5GB. Aaaarrrggg, now I guess I'll have to hope that the recovery disks picks up all the information it can. I had thought about pulling the information from this 40GB and pulling it to the new 80GB. But I feel a little worried about doing it.

I truly appreciate your input and help.

Sincerely,
Kat

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Most HD manufacturers have software to allow you to move data. Not sure about the boot tracks though.

But a ghosting/ cloning program will most likely work for you. You will have to put the new drive in an external case specifically for laptop drives. You would hook it as a USB. They cost $20.00 to about 50.00