Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 7 Hangs when opened

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
My System:
Compaq Presario
Win XP
IE 7
80g hard drive
512 RAM
Comodo Firewall
Avast Virus Protection

For the past couple months I've been having a problem opening IE. Here is a link to my original topic in the malware forum, have been cleared with them: Topic

Issue happens when:

Opening IE from desktop

Opening IE from link in an email

Here's what happens:

If opened from desktop, page opens remains blank. All headers read Windows Internet Explorer. No other action is happening. The little swirly blue thing is not circling, nothing. It just sits there. If I try to X page out it reads "Not Responding" at the top. The only way I can get it off the screen is through Task Manager. IE is always stuck around 29,000k.

If opened from an email link, for example I get newsletters or eBay alert about an item I'm bidding on, click link to go to that webpage... nothing happens, no window opens, just sits there. Can't X out of email. Go to Task Manager, find IE, again usually stuck at 28 or 29,000k, click to end process... everything stalls a moment, then the web page I was originally trying to link from that email trys to open. Sometimes it's successful and opens all the way and other times it stalls out to the blank page as described in the above paragraph. After a minute or two I'm able to click my way out of the email and task manager which up to this point where just stuck on the screen.

With either of the above IE is usually opened successfully on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th try.

No major computer crashes or infections. Problem doesn't stop computer use, it's just very annoying, especially when you just want to jump on really quick to check something out.

PROBLEM # 2, recently tried to update Java. Download error 25099. "Unzipping Core Files failed". Have tried following Java's solutions to fix the problem, downloading differently, still the same error. Have tried finding Java in Add/Remove Programs, it's not listed. Have tried using Window's Install Cleanup, there's no Java listed. There is a Java icon in control panel but when I try to open it it says: Java Virtual Machine Launcher, Could not find the main class: com.sun.deploy.panel.controlPanel. Program will exit.

I wasn't going to go to great lengths to fix Java till I got IE fixed. If you can help me with either problem or both it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Have you tried booting in safe mode?
If yes, what happens.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...and get JavaRa 1.13....

this tool will Update the Java JRE and remove old versions of the JRE at the click of a button.

What JavaRa does is to check if your computer has the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

If the version you have installed has been superseded by a newer version the program will download and install this newer version for you, by running Java's update program.

JavaRa then allows you to remove all possible older versions of this program. This way it will ensure that the security of your PC is enhanced will create extra space on your hard disk.

Edited by happyrock, 13 March 2009 - 03:50 PM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks happyrock for your help. Downloaded JavaRa and everything was going so well, but got the same error (25099 Unzipping core files failed). So I used JavaRa to clean up again. Then I used ATF Cleaner to clean further, even used CleanUp! which requires you to log off then back on... went back to JavaRa tried to get the updates, followed all along up till the download gets to the part that says "Extracting Installer" then once again Error 25099. ??????

Did you not have any ideas on my IE7 hanging problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer
NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
1. Click Start... click Run... type in MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER...click OK....
Even if you do this correctly... it may look like nothing occurs.

2. Click Start... click Run... type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER... click OK.
Even if you do this correctly... it may look like nothing occurs... or you may briefly see an hourglass....
After you run this command... the operation is complete.
3. Try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility application again....
then go here and test both flash and shockwave...it may offer to install or update them...say yes and REBOOT when done...then go back to the same site and test to make sure they BOTH are working..
as for this

Did you not have any ideas on my IE7 hanging problem

we may have to run sfc /scannnow or do a repair on xp...either option has the downside of getting ALL the xp updates all over again...so lets hope it doesn't get to that...

Edited by happyrock, 18 March 2009 - 04:19 PM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

then go here and test both flash and shockwave...

Hey happyrock, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, it's Spring Break here and my kids are off from school. Anyway... did you mean for there to be a link in the above sentence? Maybe the word "here"?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I went through the first two steps, then tried the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but still no Java or JRE listed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:)... I fixed the missing link in the previous post... :)

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, both Shock and Flash are good. I had gotten a request to update Flash last night and did so. But today on a site where Flash is usually functioning it said it wasn't installed. So on the site you gave me Installed or updated both, then both boxes said Installation complete. Rebooted. Went back and it still said both were good. Checked my site just to make sure and Flash seems to be fine. Still no Java though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get the newest version....

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Should I run JavaRa first to get rid of what we tried last week? The only reason I ask is that I went to your download link, chose to save to desktop and it said it already existed and asked if I wanted to replace. I'd forgotten that the other was still there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use the add/remove in the control panel first ...then ra...then download and install it

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, there still is no Java in Add/Remove Programs. I have a Java icon in Control Panel as stated in the beginning post of this thread, but when I double click it I still get the error message:

Java Virtual Machine Launcher, Could not find the main class: com.sun.deploy.panel.controlPanel. Program will exit.

The only other Java I can find is in the drop down Tools menu of IE7. It says Sun Java Console. But when it's clicked nothing happens.

Ok, now since I couldn't find Java on Add/Remove or Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, I used JavaRa remove feature just to be safe and it reported the following:

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SunJavaUpdateSched

JavaRa 1.13 Removal Log.

Report follows after line.

------------------------------------

The JavaRa removal process was started on Sun Mar 22 20:44:03 2009

------------------------------------

Finished reporting.

Then I used your link from FileHippo. Once again the download went fine, saved it to the desktop, then went to do the installation and once again it got all the way to Extracting Installer and gave me the 25099 error. It always leaves the download that I saved to the desktop.

What do you think?

Just so you know the IE7 hanging upon startup problem was happening long before Java got screwed up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Ad-Aware Free ...install it...update it and run it
no joy..
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
If you don't mind me asking... why are you leaning toward infection? I was cleared once in the malware forum, and I went through their entire cleaning guide although now I do see that a couple new elements have been added that I didn't get to use then, but just wondered why you thought my problem was infection. Are you thinking the Java problem is infection or the hanging IE or both? Like I said they didn't start at the same time. And the IE was still hanging after an expert had checked my last set of HJT logs and said they were clear. He's the one that sent me to this forum.

Thanks for all your help!