Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE can access internet, but no other programs can

• Please log in to reply

Alltracturbo

Alltracturbo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having a problem with programs on my computer not being able to connect to the internet. Internet explorer can connect fine, but nothing else can connect. I'm running Windows XP and not using any type of anti-virus programs. The only things that are being used are windows firewall, and the firewall through my modem.

I left for a couple months and came back to a computer that was running slow an had some spyware programs on it. I useually just run adaware and keep everything clean myself. I always delete cookies, temp files, and history. I keep startup programs at a minimum, just starting what I need. I also recently went into the services section in administratinve tools and kind of tweaked it so the computer starts and shuts down much quicker. It use to take about 1-2 minutes after clicking shut down to turn off, now it useually takes under 10 seconds. The internet problem existed before I changed the services though.

I don't remember the problems I was originally having, but adaware wasen't fixing it, so I useed smitfraudfix. Thats fixed whatever the problem was, but I think thats when this problem started with programs not being able to access the internet. Also after using smitfraudfix, everytime I went online it would bring me to either microsoft.com or msn email as the home page. I tried changing the home page through internet options and adware, but nothing worked. Then I changed it in the registry and that fixed it. Not sure if that was related to a virus or not.

Ok, back to my current problem. I cant access anything that requires the internet such as AIM. I also cannot connect in AdAware to update the definitions file. I always get some type of error saying it cant connect to the server and to check my firewall settings.

I have tried shutting off the windows firewall and the firewall through my modem and neither helped. And all the programs that cannot connect are in the exceptions section in the windows firewall. Thay are checked allowing them to connect to the internet.

Also, there are expired versions of Norton Internet Security and Symantec on my computer if that makes a difference. I don't have them set to come on at all, there just there b/c I never deleted them.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

Alltracturbo

Alltracturbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. I did everything listed on the page before posting the hijackthis log and then started another thread in the malware section.

Heres the link for future refrence if it doesn't get solved over there. Malware thread link

I'll post back here if the problem gets solved in the malware section.

Alltracturbo

Alltracturbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My problem is solved and this thread can be locked.

I posted how I fixed my problem in the other thread linked in my post above this one.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Good to hear the problem is solved after a quick visit to the malware doctors!

Regards,
Olrik