Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE vrs. FireFox

• Please log in to reply

ALONGTHEWAY

ALONGTHEWAY

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey,

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on IE vrs. FireFox. I just deleted FireFox off my computer. I found that since I am running XP, I mine aswell stick with IE for the updates and such...

Any thoughts?

-Steve

Advertisements

SuJo

SuJo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Firefox is just better in my opinion, better security, Tabbed browsing, the works.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it depends.....it's not exactly a direct comparison....firefox is generally accepted as better....but you still need ie for certain pages that just simply don't work in firefox....it all depends on your needs...because as far as the security goes..you can get just as much and more security using ie.....the only difference is that firefox has that security built in whereas yo uhave to get extra stuff to secure IE

Boomer_2008

Boomer_2008

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well first off IE is more tolerint to such things like SPYWARE i mean i had IE and i all ways had problems even with eveything like norten and everything to protect my computer i use Firefox now and it is much much better in my eyes i mean i havent never had a problem and i have been useing Firefox for 1 year str8t its awesome........... :) IE SUCKS :) ....... :tazz: Firefox :) RULEZ ......

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Internet Explorer is horrible. I ONLY use it for IE only pages (Reminds me of winmodems *Gags*). Of course I'm sure there must be some kind of emulation add on for firefox, but I've been to lazy to look.

Firefox is customizable, fast, and *more* secure. And of course it has the famous tabbed browsing :tazz: .

So in conclusion, keep IE installed for those nasty windows updates and etc (Configure it to be as secure as possible), and use firefox for everything else.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Hey,

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on IE vrs. FireFox.  I just deleted FireFox off my computer.  I found that since I am running XP, I mine aswell stick with IE for the updates and such...

Any thoughts?

-Steve

View Post

You do not DO NOT need IE for windows updates contrary to popular belief.
1. If / Since you are running XP just turn on automatic updates, that solves that.

2. Don't trust Auto Update? Simple go here and download the plugin for Firefox(or others) that will let you access the windows updates with Firefox or Opera or Netscape

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Next piece of business. IE explorer is the most vulnerable thing on your machine. Use any browser aside from IE Just as it says in my signature below. IE in my opinion is a worthless spyware, adware magnet. Just my opinion but you did ask.

Also, just for future reference you really should use the search feature of this forum there are several threads on this very topic still active. Such as this one, if you want to know something about Firefox this is the thread for you

http://www.geekstogo...fox-t54618.html

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I myself use Firefox at home all the time, but I use Internet Explorer at work all the time because that is what 99.9% of the computers that I repair use.

Firefox has alot of nice features, like the addons and such, but the best part it is the added security.

Only thing that is bad, and it isn't Firefox's fault AT ALL is that Microsoft Antispyware doesn't incorporate itself with it, for obvious reasons I know, but it still stinks :tazz:

Edited by Jarenien, 23 August 2005 - 08:10 PM.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

You do not DO NOT need IE for windows updates contrary to popular belief.
1. If / Since you are running XP just turn on automatic updates, that solves that.

2. Don't trust Auto Update? Simple go here and download the plugin for Firefox(or others) that will let you access the windows updates with Firefox or Opera or Netscape

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Ohh, awesome!

Thanks phybyr0ptyk.

If for some reason you don't like firefox, go with phybyr0ptyk's advise and use anything but IE.

ALONGTHEWAY

ALONGTHEWAY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
wow excellent, thanks a ton.

I usually do use the search feature..:tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
FireFox all the way!! I only use IE for Windows Updates and my email because I cant make MSN Messenger open the mails in FF!