Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Running slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Okay - went into Safe Mode and I was able to open IE 8 and finish installing it. I was able to browse. I tried to update Windows in safe mode, but it wouldn't let me - windows site said there was an error. But now I'm back in regular mode, and again IE 8 will not open. I'm still have to use MSN Explorer.

MSN Explorer? May I ask why you need 2 internet browsers?
MSN is a browser just like IE is. In fact it is loosely based on IE6 and originally released with XP back in 2002. Do you have internet service through MSN?

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I'm only running MSN b/c I can not open IE8 at all. I was running IE7, but when I did as you suggested in post 2, there still was no a change. Then I saw the post, I think from Kyle, that I should d/l IE8 so I did. Now IE doesn't even open.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry for such a long absense. Please go to Add\Remove Programs
At the top of the window [it a tick in the little box that says Show All Updates and wait for the window to populate.
Now scroll down and remove any IE updates.
Reboot and now see if IE will open and run correctly.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Since my last post I have uninstalled IE8 since it will not open and reinstalled IE7. Do you still want me to remove updates or reinstall 8? I also have been working with skeptic in Windows XP under device Manager.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok The Skeptic can help you with it. I'll jump in there and see whats going on real quick.