Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7, can't clear address bar dropdown options despite clearing all

• Please log in to reply

karenorford

karenorford

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there!
I hope I'm posting this in the right place - please redirect me if I should be somewhere else.

I'm using IE7 as my browser and have used 'Tools - Internet Options - General - Delete All Browsing History' BUT if I start typing in the IE address bar, there are still lots of options that appear as dropdowns.

For instance, I type the letter 'W' and the words weather, wedding, william and 'Welcome to Google' all appear. They are all legitimate search terms but I want to completely clear all these forms.

Can anyone suggest a more thorough way to get rid of these terms?

Thanks,
Karen

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Karen,

When you type in a URL into the address box IE's suggestions come from several locations, not only the history, but also your favorites and the last typed URLs (and in case of a local folder, the contents of that folder)

I'm assuming that the last typed ones, are the ones that you do not want to show up anymore.
These are "remembered" in the registry per user at the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

If you want to empty that location one option is to delete the key and then re-create the (empty) key.
deleting it altogether could lead to errors and conflicts.
Before you do this I would advise to create a backup of the registry in case something goes wrong.
Please go to Start > Run
Paste in the following line:regedit /e c:\registrybackup.reg
Click OK.
It won't appear to be doing anything, that's normal.
Your mouse pointer may turn to an hour glass for a minute.
Please continue when it no longer has the hour glass.

NEXT

Open Notepad

Click Start >Run type notepad into the run box click OK
Click Format and make certain that Word Wrap is NOT checked.

Copy the text inside of the code box, put your mouse cursor at the very beginning of the text and then hold down the left button and drag your mouse so that all of the text is highlighted. Press Ctrl+C (or right click on the highlighted section and choose 'copy')

Now paste the copied text into the open notepad. To do this click in the blank page so that your cursor is flashing there and press CTRL+V (or right click and choose 'paste')

Note: There must be NO blank lines in front of the pasted text, but ensure that there is a blank line at the end of the text, otherwise the registry merge will not work.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

Now go to File > and click Save As,
From the drop down menu at the top of the box choose Desktop as the location to save this file.
Go down to the File Name box and type in removetypedURLs.reg as the file name, then choose All Files as the save as file type.
Then click the save button.
Once you have clicked the save button, close Notepad.

You should now see a file on your desktop that looks like this:

Posted Image

Locate the removetypedURLs.reg icon on your desktop and double click it, an information box will pop up asking if you want to merge the information in the file into the registry, click YES.

You can save the file and repeat the last part of the procedure (doubleclick and confirm) everytime you want to clean out those entries.

karenorford

karenorford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Utterly brilliant - thanks!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
My pleasure. :)