Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP problems

• Please log in to reply

Christihein

Christihein

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a router, my laptop IP 192.168.1.1, my desktop is 192.168.0.1, yesterday my husband was on the IE using this Mozilla Foxfire, the computer froze up and after that he was unable to connect to the IE on the desktop. Today I have the desktop connected to the router through my modeum (satellite) and my laptop works fine, gut the IP on the desktop has changed. All three tech support areas Best Buy Geeks, Router, and HP say that the IP has changed due to a software download. I have gone into the cmd center and have had the Hughes Net people (satellite IE Co), and the Router people ping me, it is not finding my computer because the IP has changed. They all say it is due to the software download, that one must go into the networking in the control panel and change the IP back to the original, and that is what is happening. I hope you are able to help me, I do not mind paying for knowledge, but they are not willing to share that with me incase it happens again and I am not willing to pay for it twice incase it should happen again.
I have gone to the cmd and it comes up with a whole different IP, I have gone to networking in cpanel and put in the right info and also have tried auto find IP, I have gone to the tools-connections-and put that on auto and proxy and still I am getting a different IP.
I have reformatted my computer and tried to wipe the hard drive, but still nothing.
If you are able plz help.

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am by far not an expert on routing/networking, but I have had to set a few networks a time or five.If you give some more information on your setup it will help the experts here help you much better.

Make and model of your router, operating system(s), and how exactly are you connected to the internet, such as: 1. is the router the gateway to the net then the computers connected to it, or 2. is one of the computers the gateway with the router connected to it and then the other computers connected to in.

here's a simple diagram to better understand what I'm tryin to get at.

1. internet connection-> router->computers
or
2. internet connection->computer->router->other computers

there may be other ways to set up a small network but these two are what I've encountered.
also how is the network connected, USB, Ethernet (looks like a phone line but a bit bigger), or wireless?

Please be as specific as possible as this information will help alot.

Edited by Bahlzeron, 16 January 2008 - 09:48 AM.

Christihein

Christihein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
desk computer to router to modeum to laptop

desktop
hp pavillion a530n
a000 hw bom: 0n121110 hp pavillion na50

router
wrt 54 g v8 linksys

modeum
hn7000s isp

laptop
psafgu 00L002
toshiba satellite a215
s7437

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.12600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix. :
Autoconfiguration IP Address...: 169.254.248.67
Subnet Mask...........: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway.........:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

C:\Documents and Settigs\Owner>ipconfig\release

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:
Subnet Mask...........:255.255.0.0
Default Gateway........:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>inconfig/release
'inconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Setting\Owner>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Loca Area Connection:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name............: your-at5qgaac3z
Primary Dns Suffix.......:
Node Type...........: Hybrid
IP Routing Enable........ No
WIN Proxy Enable........: No

Description...........: NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
Physical Address.........: 00-0E-A6-7C-96-44
Dhcp Enabled...........: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enable.... Yes

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
does your modem connect to the router or the laptop?

Christihein

Christihein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The desktop is connected to the router and the modem is connected to the router

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok.. you got the same router I do only mine is version 6 (I love linksys routers). You got a pretty standard network goin.. first off make sure the modem is plugged into the slot that is seperate from the other four, I belive its marked "internet", also make sure the computer is plugged into one of the four slots. The linksys routers (and most other types also) hand out a Dynamic IP, which changes every 24 hours, do not worry as this does not effect internet connectivity, you can assign IP's but that is a bit more advanced and generally not needed (the only time I needed to assign an IP was for a game server with port forwarding).

Now, on the computer with the problem, you need to go to control panel>network and internet connections >internet options, or if using classic view in XP or not on XP control panel> internet connections. Click on the connections tab. click on the LAN settings button, make sure "automatically detct settings" is selected only, do NOT select proxy server or automatic configuration script. This is to be sure your computer is set up correctly. now, reset your router, unplug the power from the back of the router for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, then plug back in, after that restart the desktop. (I just had to do this same thing this morning with my roomates comp)

Please post back after you try this.

Edited by Bahlzeron, 16 January 2008 - 09:56 PM.

Christihein

Christihein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you that worked great.

Christihein

Christihein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am back to square one. I did as you said and it worke great last night, must I do that everyday? I have 1394 coonection and local area connection which one do I use?

Edited by Christihein, 17 January 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
use the local area connection, as thats what the router uses.

ok.. try unselecting "automatically detect settings" so then there is nothing selected in LAN settings, yes it will work.. my comp is set up this way.

again reset the router, then resart the computer.

if you once again you have connection problem you may have to assign an IP to the computer.. but hopefully this wont be necessary.