Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have no Normal.dot - Word 2003

• Please log in to reply

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have done recent computer upgrades to my Sony VAIO and Dell Latitude C600 laptop. I loaded WinXP Pro, MS Office 2003 Pro, Acrobat 7.0 Pro, Norton AntiVirus 2005, etc. We have 3 user accounts on each. After normal hiccups were ironed out, we discovered the following, on both machines and on all 3 accounts per machine:

Make a customization to Word - add a button to a toolbar, change margins or fonts, etc. - and it doesn't stick. The next time we launch Word, it's back to its (original) defaults. Word seems to behave properly in all other regards (that we notice).

So the problem seems to be with Normal.dot not being updated - according to MS help and website, help boards like this one, google searches. Lo-and-behold I discover that we have NO Normal.dot files on the systems.

In every case that I've investigated, and as I have done many times in the past, the recommended solution to this problem is to delete the Normal.dot, and Word will create a new one. In this case, none is being created under any circumstance.

So being a smart guy, I installed an old pre-update Normal.dot (actually a Word 2000 template), and put it in the right place. What I notice is this:

1. Word opens. A temp file is created called ~Normal.dot as expected.
2. Do some Word stuff - add a button, change default font, etc.
3. Save and quit.
4. The ~Normal.dot temp file disappears, but the Normal.dot is not changed, it has its original creation/modification date. No change.

I have also tried to force creation of a Normal.dot by saving it as a template. (I know this can have problems, but wanted to try anyway.) When I try to write the file, however, I get an error dialog that says:

"Word cannot give a document the same name as an open document. Type a different name for the document you want to save. (C:\Documents and Settings\..\Normal.dot)"

So it thinks there is a Normal.dot in my templates. I navigate there, and there is none. I search the entire disk, looking for hidden files too, and there are none on the system.

So it looks like Word is unable to write the Normal.dot template. I have checked for startup items (none), looked for Macros (just AutoClose), COM Add-ins (there are none), etc. I've checked that the File Save locations are in the right location (they are).

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? One board implied that Acrobat 7 may be an issue, but how? How about NAV?

Positive assistance can be rewarde with a good cold beer!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try help then detect and repair in any office programme, if no change, and you do not have a lot of mail in Outlook, go add / remove click change then re-install, chosse complete if you have the room.

If you get it running, click start all programmes, microsoft office, office tools, save settings wizard

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Actually, I did do a detect and repair. And I do have a lot of email. Detect and repair seems to have deleted my mail profile! I have had to build a new profile, new accounts (all 8 of 'em) and reimport my mail - the files were still there and I had protected them.

There was no change to the behavior, however. I don't think that a reinstall will help, as I have the same behavior on two different machines.

I am tempted to uninstall Adobe Acrobat 7. Again, one board merely asked a user with similar problems if Acrobat was installed. That board did not have any other conclusive info.

I'm certain this must be a conflict of some sort. Do you think that Acrobat may be the culprit? (I have turned off NAV option for Outlook Plugin, and it does not seem to be functioning, nor has the problem gone away.)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have broadband losing Acrobat on one machine for a while is worth it to check, did see if the user name and author do not match then saving is difficult

I have a number of PC's running Office but as single user accounts so have not run in to this

Re-install was suggested as if you have the problem on more than one machine, it points to Office being corrupt as it is unlikely the same hardware or configuration fault would be on different machines

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I think this is what you need
Acrobat7 & Normal.dot

Let me know how you go

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Peterm!

The suggested workaround from the Adobe site worked! Now if they could just fix the problem.

Thanks Peterm, and thanks Geeks to go!

Neal

Neal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just encountered two of the same problems.

1. Word 2000 for some reason asked if I wanted to save changes to normal.dot. I unintentionally said yes.
I want to change normal.dot back. But searches of my hard drive repeatedly tell me I have no such file. I have set hidden files to be available to me.

2. I just upgraded to Norton Anti Virus 2005 from 2003.
Few hours later, I had a freeze up and had to hard reboot.
On boot up, Outlook 2003 told me it coudln't find my email folders.
I've searched hard disk for *.pst folders, but only old ones from a year or two ago turn up.

I'm running XP Pro.

I'm flumoxed.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if your correct and you don't have a normal.dot
word should re create it
Do you have the 2000 office disc?

Neal

Neal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I have the Office 2000 disk.
Are you suggesting a full reinstall?
And an uninstall first?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No in office 2000 if you put the cd in it will give you the chance to repair the install - no need to uninstall and reinstall. If you get stuck let me know and I will step you through it.

Advertisements

Neal

Neal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your offer.
As it happens, I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Microsoft yesterday and seem to have solved the two problems I posted about.
In case it's of help to anyone else, here were the resolutions for me:
1. my email data files had been corrupted.
there is an outlook program for fixing that. it takes a long time to run, but can work, as it did for me.
2. my normal.dot was still on my harddrive.
it turns out that while i had set windows to show me my hidden files, i had overlooked a spot in its search function for specifying to include those files in searches.
once found, the normal.dot file could be deleted. upon reopening Word, the program creates a new normal.dot file returning to default settings.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a link / location for the Outlook programme

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What was the programme for outlook?

Neal

Neal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
scanpst.exe

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I found it, opened it and it said choose file, is that a folder or an individual e-mail