Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

If you had $1200

• Please log in to reply

djicx

djicx

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm interested in buying a new desktop, and $1200 is generally the amount I'm going to spend. Any suggestions for specific parts? Or, just list what YOU would get with this budget. THANKS!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow awesome thread! I'm in! Here's my build:

Case $59.99
Case Fan $7.99
Power Supply Unit $129.99
Motherboard $94.99
Processor $204.99
RAM $58.99
Graphics Card $489.99
Hard Drive $74.99
DVD Burner $30.99

TOTAL = $1152.91

Add Vista Home Premium $111.99

TOTAL = $1264.90

Edited by ruthandtroy, 02 September 2007 - 09:20 AM.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
To be on the safe side, when getting a new computer built, I normally consult the local computer guy in my area, he runs a business building and fixing computers.

If there is someone like this in your area, I suggest you talk to them. :whistling:

Edited by tiroshii, 05 September 2007 - 04:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like fun to me, too.
Total...1259.92

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Be careful when quoting prices. The powersupply that RuthandTroy provided is $169 with a $40 mail in rebate. Wannabe, you video card is now out of stock...lol.

I shop at Microcenter, Fry's, and Newegg. Generally the best places to get parts. You can include TigerDirect and ZipZoomFly as well.

You haven't said what you wanted to do with your computer. That can make a difference. For example you might not want a $500 video card when something like nvidia 8800gts 320meg video card can be had for much cheaper.

All the parts recommend here are quality parts. If you have to save a bit of money either go with the next step down processor or video card. Power supply is the last thing you want to skimp on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What do you bet that video card is back in stock by the time the order is placed? :whistling:

Good point, though. I went strictly without looking at rebates, but then I didn't list a shipping cost, either. Probably just about even out. And...pricing is about as stable as Windows ME. They are subject to change at the seller's fancy.

My build is not for gaming, but will be a stable platform and I've left lots of room for upgrading.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
My build was for gaming, and with rebates prices only. Both of the systems so far are very good quality and leave room for improvement as well... And also room to downgrade a bit here and there to save on $$$