Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incoming mail server address overwritten

• Please log in to reply

marelsoft

marelsoft

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have Windows XP home. My mail client is Outlook Express. Recently strange thing is happening. When I restart my PC incoming mail (POP3) server address (in my case mail.comcast.net) is overwritten by 127.0.0.1 which is loop address and user name is overwritten by email address. Consequently I am not able to download my emails. To do that I have to manually change that .How can I debug this ?

Advertisements

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I work for an ISP and we see this all the time.

You probably have Nortons or McAfee (Others do it to, but they seem to be the worst about it ... maybe just the most popular).

Basically, after installing an anti-virus program or after it does an auto-update it'll change your incoming mail server to 127.0.0.1 or "localhost" ... which are both really the same thing. The program thinks it's being helpful by pointing your mail server to your computer so it will go through the virus scanner, however, especially if you're using OE (outlook express) nortons has some nasty compatibility issues with it (Though I've seen it fail when using other mail programs too).

It's nothing to worry about really, just change it back to your mail providers server and you should be fine (Though it's possible your anti-virus program will change it back during another update or upgrade).

**Edit
Just realized you said it changes it everytime you restart. I'd start by turning off virus scanning for imcoming mail and see if that fixes the problem. Though obviously you still have to worry about virus' coming in through your email ... though if you're not pointing your mail client to your virus program it's not scanning anyway more than likely.

Edited by cliff283, 14 November 2006 - 03:42 PM.

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you cliff. You were right. Problem is with McAfee Security system. I spent some time in mcafee chat room and got and advice to remove and install Spamkiller. Spamkiller was responsible for the mess. It works now very well.
marelsoft