Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP

• Please log in to reply

shaunym

shaunym

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a secondhand computer that had a formatted hard drive in it (no operating system in it). I was wanting to install XP pro. I have three XP cds (one is just XP, one is XP professional and the other is Publisher). I assumed that these were boot disks, however the CD drive did not recognise them as boot disks even when i change the boot oreder in the BIOS menu.

I then tried making the six floppy disk boot set which all worked up until number siz where it was processing the keyboard. An error along the lines of KBDUS.DLL is not a valid windows image or something similar.

The i tried taking out the old hard drive (which i suspected was faulty) and put one in from my other computer. However when i did that, A message came up saying we apologise for the inconveniece etc etc ect and said something about new hardware, which i had done. Then it gave me options to start in safe mode, normal mode, last known settings that worked etc. All of these options reset the computer but the same screen came up.

I am unbale to get into windows with my other hard drive, or to install with the cd or boot disks. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
So you're saying that your CD-ROM won't read the Xp Setup disks when you put them into the tray?

shaunym

shaunym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply,

I can only assume that since I cant get into windows to find out. i also assume that they are XP boot disks. The CD drive whirls and sounds like it is loading but will not boot from it

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Did your XP cd's come with a different system - are they OEM or Microsoft retail cd's?

Where did you get them from?

Murray

shaunym

shaunym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Murray,

Yes, I am pretty sure the CDs came with the computer I am on now.

Shaun

PS: sorry about the double posts

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting the CD on a different computer to see if it works or not.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi Murray,

Yes, I am pretty sure the CDs came with the computer I am on now.

Shaun

PS: sorry about the double posts

Then, you get to go out and buy a new retail version of XP as you can only have XP installed on one system at any given time.

That being said, as you have indicated your install cd may be OEM, you cannot legally install that version on ANY other system ever as that cd is forevevr married to the original computer.

Murray

newbikekiller

newbikekiller

• Pip
  • 7 posts
What will happen if he does install it?

Seems outrageous to me to have to buy more than one copy of windows for your personal home. Of course reading through the post I see that he's already got it installed on 1 PC, so legally you're right.

Besides that, the CD oughtta boot even if only to kick you off later in the process because it's an OEM (came with some other computer) disk.

Edited by mod: We do not provide instructions to allow a second install of XP with an OEM cd.

Edited by Murray S., 30 April 2008 - 09:36 PM.