Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Boot Hang After POST

• Please log in to reply

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Olah,

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an intermittent boot hang Problem. Right after a successful POST, sometimes/randomly the system will hang for about 3-4 min and then it will finally bring up the XP loading interface. This happens after about every 5-10 cold boots. Not a big deal but I don’t see any reason why this should be happening. Seems like the system is hanging while trying to find the OS. I've tried a fresh install of XP but that didn’t help. Highly doubt its a software problem. So I am thinking it is a hardware problem. However, Ram checks out okay according to Memtest and the PSU was recently upgraded from 380 Watts to a 650 Watt which didn’t help the problemo.

Processor is being Over-clocked but I set it back to default which didn't make any difference. In fact all the hardware in my system is roughly new. Perhaps the problem is related to a faulty Processor or failing hard drive? Well, my hard drive is a Raptor which is about a year and a half old and I keep it well conditioned. Processor is a Core 2 Duo which is maybe 2 years old. These are expensive hardware replacements that I'd really like to avoid to fix a pesky problem like this. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Please... :]

~l0st :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Not so sure, but you might want to try flashing your BIOS to see if that helps.
What is the make and model of your computer?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi LB,

Since you covered most of the basics, i'd take a look at the cabling. Disconnect the machine from the wall and unplug & re-seat all the connections.

Edited by Ectech, 10 June 2009 - 10:52 PM.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Wow, thanks for the quick response guy's (Peace out to tomshardware.com, I posted this same question about two days ago, still no reply ;0).

Roger that Ectech ill try that. Nice Ubuntu/Mac avatar btw haha luv it.

Edge, ive have already flashed my BIOS as well. In fact this minut issue is so random its almost as if my computer has a personality. Unfortunately I'll have to test this out for about a good week or two to see if Ectech's suggestions work or any other suggestions for that matter. A very tedious process ;\ but hey we are Techs haha.

Anyhow, here are my specs:

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (Overclocked to 3.33 GHZ)
Mobo- ASUSTek P5k-VM
Memory- Corsair 4 Gigz DDR2 (800 MHZ)
Graphics- PCIE Nvidia 8400GS
Sound Card- Blaster Audigy SE
PSU- X-Power Pro 650 Watt
1X 75 Gig Sata Raptor HD (10,000 RPM)(Primary HD holding my OS)
1X 80 Gig Sata Western Digital (7,200 RPM) (Storage Drive)
1X Liteon DVD-RW
1x Samsung CR-RW

Thanks again for the quick reply and if anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to post.

~l0st

Attached Thumbnails

• m_7646fe8602854960ada53e1a11a45e6b.jpg.jpg

Edited by l0stb0y760, 11 June 2009 - 09:06 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All your hardware is relatively new, and reliable.
You might want to run a diagnostic on your hard drives, just to make sure that they are ok.
http://support.wdc.c...oad.asp?lang=en
Find your drive, download and install the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows, and run them.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Roger that Edge! Ill post back as soon as I can. I'm in an intense battle on Day Of Defeat at the moment ;p

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Both my HDD's checked out okay:

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR5
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMANS2529446
Firmware Number: 21.07QR5
Capacity: 74.36 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 04:43:44, June 11, 2009

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD800JD-22LSA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAM9L263810
Firmware Number: 06.01D06
Capacity: 80.03 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 08:04:12, June 11, 2009

Cable Connection's look solid. I popped open the case and reseated my modules. Seeing how that goes, so far so good..

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run a Prime95 test on it.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Roger that Cilix,

im gonna run with this ''re-seating tactic'' for a a little bit to see if that made any difference. If the problem still persists I'll try the Prime95 Option or run it anyway when I get a free chance.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

~l0st

Edited by l0stb0y760, 11 June 2009 - 11:36 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Roger that Cilix,

im gonna run with this ''re-seating tactic'' for a a little bit to see if that made any difference. If the problem still persists I'll try the Prime95 Option or run it anyway when I get a free chance.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

~l0st

The Prime95 will stress the crap outta your hardware, so if anything is failing it will probably fail in the test.

Advertisements

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea i've heard of stress tests but never really tried one. I always have this paranoya that it is going to damage my hardware. Are they a 100% safe?

~l0st

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Yea i've heard of stress tests but never really tried one. I always have this paranoya that it is going to damage my hardware. Are they a 100% safe?

~l0st

Yes, absolutely. It just places the components under loads it would normally be under during heavy usage...just all at the same time. PC components have come a long way, and if something were to blow up during the test it shouldn't be in the PC to begin with :)

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay cool deal, i'll try it when i can :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Here is a good tutorial for torturing your hardware with Prime95: http://www.playtool....95/prime95.html
Read through the entire article to choose the right torture method.
You should run this test for about 24-35 hours to make sure that all your hardware is working correctly. This is common tool used for checking the stability of the CPU and RAM when overclocking.

This is also a good demo to stress components like your graphics card: http://www.daionet.g...~masa/rthdribl/

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey Guys,

the problem happened again this morning when I booted up. It Went through POST okay but right after that the screen was just Black for about 3 min then finally the Windows Loading GUI came up and proceeded to boot just fine ;\ I ran the Prime95 Test for about 10 min and it look's like it already found a problem. Suggestions please... Here's the log:

Attached Thumbnails

• HardWareProblem.jpg

Edited by l0stb0y760, 14 June 2009 - 12:56 PM.