Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 will not open

• Please log in to reply

newportnews

newportnews

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
G'day - a few days back i decided to upgrade to IE 8. When I did, internet explorer stopped working. When I clicked the IE icon it would open a white empty box for a couple of seconds and then close. On a website shortcut from my desktop it would react the same of it may actually connect and open for a second but there is no navigation bar or toolbar at the top. I uninstalled IE 8 to see if IE 7 would come back; it did not. I tried to restore to an earlier time; it did not work. Firefox works fine. I then uninstalled Firefox and then installing IE 7 and removed obvious browser add ons thinking there may be a problem; still did not work. Installed Firefox and here I am. IE 7 not working. I also noticed under 'Control Panel' the 'internet options' icon is shown but the words 'internet Options' is not and clicking on the icon does nothing.

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to do these things. Follow this Microsoft knowledge based article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

newportnews

newportnews

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Results:
Method 1: Failed - can't open IE. Internet Options icon not available at Control Panel.
Method 2: Failed - have tried uninstalling and installing both IE7 and IE8.
Method 3: Failed - SP3 is installed and can't download updates using Firefox. Microsoft is requiring i use IE for updates.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uninstall all toolbars - Google, Yahoo, eBay, Epson, etc. Most Internet Explorer problems are caused by these pointless toolbars.

newportnews

newportnews

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
All toolbars have been uninstalled (that are obviously toolbars). Still IE will not start; Firefox works fine.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello newportnews

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

This could possibly be a maleware infection. Please post on the malware forums. If they give you a clean bill of health then please come back to this thread.

Agoroth

Agoroth

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello newportnews

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

This could possibly be a maleware infection. Please post on the malware forums. If they give you a clean bill of health then please come back to this thread.

Hello Oreo Collas,
I'm having the same symptoms as mr. Newportnews. I may add that the directory where IE8 is installed looks the same as on another similar computer (same place, same files), but that executing the file iexplorer.exe results in the message:
"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe'. Make shure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.To search for a file click the startbutton and click search."
which is odd, since I acually executed the file iexplorer.exe itself.
I followed every advice, with the same result as mr. Newportnews. BTW, I am not a newbie, I've been using computers for many years, and solved quite some problems. But this is weird.
Followed your advice also to check for any malware: pretty sure that the machine is clean.

So, what else? Any suggestion will be appreciated!

regards from Agoroth

newportnews

newportnews

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here is the link to the Malware topic that ExtremeBoy assisted me with. He concluded there is not a Malware problem.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t235533.html

Thank you.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
newportnews,

Try launching IE8 with no addons.
  • Click on start.
  • Click on run.
  • Type in iexplore –extoff and press enter.
Let me know if IE launches.

newportnews

newportnews

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
G'day - thanks for the response.

FYI - I uninstalled IE8 thinking that was the problem. Trying to get IE7 working.

Running the command above; a window opened and stayed open. Just an empty white box open with the grey header with the IE7 icon to the left and the mnimize/maximize/close buttons on the right. Under that are the back/forward burttons to the left. Address field. refresh/stop buttons and the search box; currently set to Google as default search. Nothing else in or on the box that opened. If i enter a web address into the address filed the box cloeses.

DJanson

DJanson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same exact problem as newportnews. Has anyone found a solution. I have been using Firefox and Google Chrome in the mean time, though some of my applications depend on IE functions. Also, I do not know if it is related, but at the same time my Outlook 2003 will not print. The printer selection is grayed out. Any thoughts?

MoxieITgirl

MoxieITgirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I experienced the exact same issue on a receptionist computer. The specs on the computer are windows XP pro spk3, IE7.
I installed FireFox, and the same thing happened. I would click the icon, and nothing would happen. But yesterday I finally fixed IE.

First make sure you can ping out through the command prompt to make sure it isn't an issue with the netwrok card or anything like that....

1. I went out to download.com and downloaded the installation for IE8. (obviously from another computer)
2. Installed it on her computer. (it was great because it removed all previous versions)
3. Deleted all short-cuts on her desktop pointing to IE.
4. From the start menu, I clicked, dragged and dropped a new short cut.
5. Once it opened it prompted that some add-ons were disabled, so I went in and disabled everything that wasn't critical to her work performance (games etc.)
6. Works fine now.

Another option depending on your system is to click Start.
Click Run
and type in the following one at a time, pressing OK after each one:

Urlmon.dll
Mshtml.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shell32.dll
Shdocvw.dll