Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection totally boinked!Well

• Please log in to reply

Moeror

Moeror

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well I'm having a big problem with my internet trouble. It started out as a virus problem but now infection is gone but internet is still out. Ive been talking with one of your mods in the malware forum. Here is the thread http://www.geekstogo...436#entry992436
Basically its like this. I got an infection, my computer was the only one that lost connection. I have another computer thats my friends, an xbox360, and a laptop. All of these work fine. Its just the computer that got infected that doesn't wrok. Its connected to the modem through a router to another wireless router. Ive tried all kinds of different connections. Reset every router and modem nada. This is beginning to frustrate me. The computer works fine, it's just the internet connection. I know it's not the networking card because its fine and even recognizes when connection is unhooked.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Moeror,

Please do the following on the computer that does not have an internet connection, along with a computer that does.
  • Goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter>.
  • In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all
  • You can copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the command prompt window, selecting Select All and then press the <Enter> key. This will copy it to your clipboard, allowing you to paste it here.
You're attempting to connect your computer to the Internet by going through two routers, correct? Please attempt to connect your computer (if possible) directly into the modem to see if you have any internet connectivity at all. If you do not, please attempt to reset the TCP/IP stack by doing the following on the non-working PC.

Step One - Command Prompt
Goto Start -> Run -> Type cmd and press <Enter>.

Step Two - Reset TCP/IP Stack
In the command prompt window, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Step Three - Reset Winsock
Repeat Step One -> In the command prompt window, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Attempt to connect to the Internet; are you able to?
- Dan

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
No go so far, i will be posting the ipconfig log. One thing I noticed if it makes any difference, whenever I unhook the computer it gives me the message about networking cable being unplugged, but when I plug it back it it doesn't go away like it usually does. It just stays like that. it's prob nothing.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>cd.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

C:\>ipconfig / all

Error: unrecongnized or incomplete command line.

USAGE:
ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
/flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
/showclassid adapter |
/setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
adapter Connection name
(wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
/? Display this help message
/all Display full configuration information.
/release Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
/renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
/flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
/registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
/displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
/showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
/setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:
> ipconfig ... Show information.
> ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information
> ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters
> ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its
name starting with EL
> ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
"Local Area Connection 2"

C:\>

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

One thing I noticed if it makes any difference, whenever I unhook the computer it gives me the message about networking cable being unplugged, but when I plug it back it it doesn't go away like it usually does. It just stays like that. it's prob nothing.

Unplug the cable from your NIC, and then plug it back in -- you should see a green light turn on at the port where you plugged your Ethernet cable into; does it? If it does not, this may indicate a hardware fault in your adapter. However, you're also experiencing some fairly in-depth software-based issues, so we'll try to fix those first.

Before you follow these steps, verify that you have the CD that came with your Network Card, or if you do not, then you will need to download your Network Card drivers before proceeding.
  • Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard (located between Ctrl and Alt), and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
  • Type in: devmgmt.msc and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
  • Scroll down to Network adapters and right click on your Network Adapter and select "Uninstall".
  • After the card is uninstalled close out the Device Manager and restart the computer.
  • When the computer restarts, The "Found new hardware wizard" will launch detecting the Network card. When it asks for the location of the device drivers just direct it to your CD drive (if you have the Disk), or to the location where you downloaded the drivers to, and let the wizard complete.
  • After it is finished reboot the computer again.
  • After the PC boots - Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
  • Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
  • Scroll down to Network adapters and verify that there are no Yellow Exclamation Points. If there are not, then proceed on with the following steps. Ensure that you have the latest drivers installed.
Goto Start --> Run --> Type: ncpa.cpl --> Right click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties --> Click on Client for Microsoft Networks and then press Uninstall --> Click on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and then press Uninstall --> Uncheck the box beside Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) --> Restart your computer. Upon reboot, Goto Start --> Run --> Type: ncpa.cpl --> Right click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties, and then re-install Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks -- also, re-check Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Restart your computer again. Upon reboot, run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
Reboot your computer again and continue.. Please follow the instructions from the How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption -- I have quoted the relevant part. *Note: do these steps even if you have SP2 installed -- you will also need to have your Windows XP installation CD to complete these steps.

Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

For more information about how to back up the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to recover from Winsock2 corruption

322756 (http://support.micro....com/kb/322756/) How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP
1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Install.
3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
7. Restart the computer.

Upon reboot, attempt to connect to the Internet; are you able to?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
No go. One thing that didn't work as stated when I uninstalled the network connection under hardware, when I rebooted it was back again and I didn't get any kind of prompt for reinstalling it. I checked the network lights in the back, and there is an orange light at the bottom and a green light that blinks every now and then. IF it was the network card, wouldn' the computer state the problem or something? I'm cursed.

cosmiqeddie

cosmiqeddie

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well, im another guy having the same problem as Meoror.
but the different is, everytime i switch on my pc n log into windows, it stucked at the desktop for few minutes, mouse works fine, icons too, but no respond at all no matter wat u click on it, and this last for minutes with a sound 'dong' every 30secs interval, which is the windows error sound. windows only works smoothly until the sound stops to 'dong', n everything or anything u click b4 that will b executed in 1 shot. but then, the internet is still not working, my other housemates on LAN to the same router-modem are working fine without any problem surfing the net. only my pc couldnt connect to the internet, but file transfer works fine, n i can view my housemate's pc from my network place. so, the problem mustn't b the LAN card. ive also tried to reinstall the windowsXP services pack2, using the repair method, the 'dong' sound didnt appear for the 1st loggin to windows, but when u restart, that thing came back, n still, internet not accessible. n 1 last thing, all these happened right after i recovered from a virus, which has been removed using NOD32 antivirus.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
hi Moeror,

first do you have a full install disk (not a recovery disk) with the current Service Pack for your system?

From command prompt type "ipconfig -a" (no quotes).

Sersokhi

Sersokhi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I've got the same or similar issue. I did what Dan G suggested, no Device manager prompt. :whistling: Dunno what to do now, I dont have the install disk, or at least don't think so. I got a Gateway and it all came installed. ANYWAYS, we did have a surge last night and I had a hard time getting my sytem to reboot, had to unplug and replug things. It finally booted, no internet. Internet works on the other two computers in the room, just not mine.
Could it possibly be something fried?

Edited by Sersokhi, 05 July 2007 - 01:42 PM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes i believe I do have that disk sir.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
If anyone is still payng attention to this thread i got a linksys usb wireless adapter. It installed and connected to the wireless router just fine. However internet still doesnt work. I tried disabling the original network card stilll no go. I'm gonna make another thread cause I thinkt his one is dead.