Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ive been told my pc is free of malware

• Please log in to reply

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
http://www.geekstogo...o....html&st=15

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey useless_at_technology,

Sorry, trying to trace back to your problem..? Is it just that your computer and internet is "mega" slow? How many background programs are running? If so - what are they? What kind of internet connection do you have? What was your speed before the slowdown?

From the Everest Report that edge2022 instructed you do, I see you only have Windows Xp Service Pack 2 running. Update to service pack 3 here. It can fix a range of bugs and hopefully make your computer overall faster.

Hopefully we can find out what's wrong. Good luck!

-Jason

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
SP3 has been already installed.
Personally, I don't like the idea of installing new service pack on a computer, which is not working properly..

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
So what do I do?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey again useless_at_technology..
Sorry about my contribution before, I wasn't aware that you had it installed the service pack already. It's crazy to run back and forth through your old threads so I'm just going to ask some questions: (I hope they haven't already been suggested to you)

Have you used the Add/Remove programs to remove unnecessary programs you don't use?

Have you used the Temp File Cleaner to rid old temporary files that are also unneeded?

Have you used the Disk Defragmenter? (Right click My Computer, in the tools tab choose Defragment Now)

Have you used msconfig to cancel some startup programs? There might be some running in the background that are slowing you down, and you might not need them.

How many RAM stick have you got? Any more spaces open on your mobo to install some new ones?

What do you use for antivirus? I used to get slowed down a lot when I used Norton, because the program was so huge. I now use (free!) AVG, which doesn't slow down any computer I own.

Well, I'm new, and I've run out of ideas. If you don't have malware problems and have gone through three different posts, I haven't got a clue. I'll keep thinking on it, and keep you posted with other ideas.

Best of luck,
-Jason

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and test your system for flash and shockwave...
go here and get javara...JavaRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)....
how much free space do you have on your C drive...

have you run chkdsk /r yet

1. Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.
2. Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.
3. If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.
4. Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.
5. Now, Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.
6. Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.
7. Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.
8. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.
9. Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.
10. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
11. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
12. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
13. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
14. Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.
15. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
16. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
17. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
18. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
19. Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.
reboot

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
whats chkdsk /r

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
chkdsk will check your drives for errors. To run chkdsk:

Open the command prompt. (Start > Run > CMD)
Type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, to start the scan for disk errors. After the scan you may be prompted to fix certain problems.. (chkdsk /f)

-Jason

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

chkdsk will check your drives for errors. To run chkdsk:

Open the command prompt. (Start > Run > CMD)
Type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, to start the scan for disk errors. After the scan you may be prompted to fix certain problems.. (chkdsk /f)

-Jason

not exactly...checkdsk /r ....... implies /f ...and any errors that can be fixed - will be fixed without any user intervention...
complete description of chkdsk switches here...
In read-only mode, CHKDSK quits before it completes all three phases if it encounters errors in earlier phases, and CHKDSK is prone to falsely reporting errors. For example, CHKDSK may report disk corruption if NTFS happens to modify areas of a disk while CHKDSK is examining the disk. For correct verification, a volume must be static, and the only way to guarantee a static state is to lock the volume. CHKDSK locks the volume only if you specify the /F switch (or the /R switch, which implies /F).

Edited by happyrock, 01 June 2009 - 08:13 PM.

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Im confused now

What do I need to do?

Advertisements

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Please can someone help me

My computer has started acting really weirdly over the past 2 days

Ive run AVG scans, MBAM scans and nothing is being found

HELP IM DESPERATE I JUST CANT AFFORD TO HAVE IT REPAIRED OR FORMATTED....AGAIN

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what do you mean by "weirdly"
did you run chkdsk yet...

useless_at_technology

useless_at_technology

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It was fine on thursday and it just went from bad to worse over fri, sat, sun and this morning

I ran chkdsk it & it took ages so I went for a shower lol

When I got back the computer was showing the desktop so I dont know if it work

Hope you can explain it as simple as you can, im not very computer literate so apologies if I seem slow

Edited by useless_at_technology, 08 June 2009 - 10:50 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Closed double post and here is the post in that topic.

m also getting 100% CPU usage

I saw a process running called wuauclt.exe and when I checked google http://www.file.net/...uauclt.exe.html said I could delete it as it was messing up auto updates or something like that

But after ive deleted it I did a search and its still there

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Judging by your other post, what do you mean you deleted wuauclt.exe? Thats the process that allows Automatic Updates to run. Do you mean you disabled it?