Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java

• Please log in to reply

sweetdave

sweetdave

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I can't get Java to run - just get a white rectangle, red X in top left, 'Java Applet Filed' & the attached gobbledgook, which is meaningless to me. (I am not techie!). I have uninstalled & re-installed time after time. How do I get Java to run properly?

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_06
Using JRE version 1.5.0_06 Java HotSpot™ Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Dave

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

load: class y.ch.0 not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: y.ch.0
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
... 10 more
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletStatus(Unknown Source)

-------------------------------------
Any help gratefully received!! :whistling:

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
i'm not that knowledgeble when it comes to java and stuff related to it but lets give this a try. internet options->advanced-> scroll down till you find java sun and make sure that the check mark box is checked, if not please check it.
hopfully this works, if not i'm not sure what might be going on.
*Note this is for Internet explorer*
Also what is it that you need it for, chat room such as our IRC? If so your firewall maybe blocking it.
thanx
James

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks, James.
1) I don't have 'Java Sun' check-box as such ( Windows XP Home). There is a Microsoft VM set of boxes -

Java Console Enabled (Requires restart)
Java logging enabled
JIT Compiler for virtual machine enabled (Requires restart)

Only the last one (JIT) is ticked, should the others be, also?

2) My firewall is a hardware one in my router. If that's the problem, I haven't the faintest idea what to do about it :whistling:

Anyway - thanks for trying to help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You need Java? I giveth you Java...

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the top-left corner, check the boxes next to Install Windows Script Host and Install VB6 Runtime. At the bottom, click on GO.

When it is finished fixing/installing, reboot your computer. Now go to the Java Download Center. Choose the Online Installation. This will install the latest Java onto your computer.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks for your help. So far, so good - i followed your intructions, & downloaded and installed Java as per.

However, the [bleep] thing still don't work!!

I followed the instructions on the Java site, to test the prog. - 3 tests, all come up with a white rectange, with big red X in top left corner.

I am following their instructions - apparently i need 'Proxy' infor from my ISP - so have emailed them for that.

Thanks - I feel i must be on the track!!!! - but why it is giving me so much grief is beyond me! :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm not sure what the proxy thing is about...but I'm sure I can help you out. It just may take a bit of troubleshooting.

One thing which worked before (for some strange reason), was flushing out system restore. Try that:

1. Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • UNcheck Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Now see if Java is working.

Another thing that may work is a good cleaning of your computer:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

And finally, if none of those work, go back to Dial-a-fix. In the bottom-right hand corner, check the boxes next to these:

ActiveX controls/codecs
Programming cores/runtimes

And then click GO When it is done fixing, click on Tools.... Click on Flush DNS then click on GO. When it is done fixing, exit out.

Restart your computer.

If it still doesn't work, go to Add/Remove Programs and remove Java. Then go back to the Java Download Center. Choose the Online Installation. Install it completely, restart the computer, and try again.

Let me know how it goes, and which procedure fixes it, if any.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 April 2006 - 01:33 PM.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
:whistling: Thanks for your continued help - it is most kind of you.

I shall be a bit occupied with other things for a day or two, so it may be a little while before I can get round to trying your latest suggestions. I will come back, when I have anything to report.

I probably will leave the 'Restore' purging, as a last resort. Con-incidental with trying to sort Java (but, I am sure, not connected) I have had quite a lot of problems with Trojans and such - and have been making Restore points like crazy. I guess I should keep Restore availble - just in case..........

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you make a Restore Point while you are infected, you will be backing up the infection as well. So you could easily re-infect yourself. Just food for thought...

I will be looking for your results when you post them :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 April 2006 - 01:37 PM.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
:help:

I take your point about Restore points - but I am loathe to lose the Restore points that were established before all this trojan/Java business began - call me a worrier........ I like to feel (whether it's justified or not) that I have a fall-back position.

So, I have not (yet) tried your suggestion of flushing out System Restore.

I have gone through the rest of your suggestions.

1) Java still does not want to play ball :blink: I used the 'Test Java' page, on the Java website. All 3 tests failed. Just white rectangle, with red X, top left.

2) After the 'RegistryDefrag' stage, the computer would not respond to the Turn Off, nor Restart buttons. I gave it plently of time (about 45 minutes!) - then did a 'Reset'. It does, now, respond to the Restart button. (Not tried the Turn Off, but i guess that will also work, now).

Hmmmmm!! :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems. This may also help you with your Java problems...

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

If that doesn't work, please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Advertisements

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks - will see how I get on. WindowsXP came pre-loaded on this machcine - i have a 'Support disc' which allegedly contains 'Windows set-up'. Whether this will suffice, I will find out.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hmmm!! :whistling:

1) This morning, my (wireless) mouse had become unlinked from it's receiver! (It's back now)

2) My CD & DVD drives seem to have lost their drivers - get a message to wait while 'Easy CD & DVD Creator 6' is Installed - then tells me it can't find it. I'll take this up with the makers of my machine - there must be a recovery, somewhere, that they can help me with.

3) Ran scannow - went right through without a murmur - although there was a pop-up about 4 Registry errors being fixed, while it was running. Don't know if that message came from scannow, or something else.

I have run hijackthis - log attached.

I have run the 'Verify Java Installation' test. Only test 3 shows anything, and that is just the dreaded white box, and X

Thanks for your continued help

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
1) Strange...if the mouse continues to become unlinked, try reinstalling.

2) Also Strange...if you're still having an issue with this, reinstall 'Easy CD & DVD Creator 6'

3)Have you tried method 2 for the Internet Explorer repair?

I don't see the HijackThis attachment. You may have to change the .log extension to .txt in order to be able to attach it. If you don't see what I'm talking about, then put the log in a compressed (zipped) folder and attach it. That will work too.

have run the 'Verify Java Installation' test. Only test 3 shows anything, and that is just the dreaded white box, and X

So things are getting better then. If method 2 of Internet Explorer repair/reinstall does not solve your problem, do a windows update:

Open Internet Explorer. In the menu bar at the top click on Tools > Windows Update. This will bring you to the Microsoft Update Website. Click on Express and then follow the on-screen prompts.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
1) The mouse is now OK - there is a Channel 1/Channel2 switch - I fiddled with that, & it now works OK

2) Will have to re-insall Easy CD & DVD Creator, but my son has the CD, & is away for a few days. Something odd about the drives, tho - wondering if the drivers have been corrupted, or something. :whistling:

3) Tried your Method 2. Gets as far as asking for files from the Windows SP2 disc (which I have), but then seems unable to find anything, no matter which drive i use.

4) I will attach the 'hijackthis' log again, hope this gets there OK.

5) Not sure that things are getting better. The 'Verify Java' test has been run many times, recently. If I remember correctly, at the start it showed white box/X combination three times, once for each test. This time, only the once, for test 3. Is this progress?

6) Have done the Windows Update thingie. The only thing it said it needed to download was 'Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)', which surprised me a little, as I have gone thru Windows Validation in the past, and thought the Validation tool would have been already on my computer.

7) I don't have either Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals (whatever they are!) or sweet pickles. When I get this sorted, I will happily supply any or all (going rash here!) to any techie who cares to show up at my door!!

Attached Files

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Some oddities - which may not be your province. If not, a) you may be able to point me in the right direction, and b) they may throw some light on what the *&%'=# is going on, inside my machine. If neither, sorry to trouble you with them.

1) Trivial thing. I play solitaire quite a bit. Now, when playing, from time to time, the screen flicks dark for an instant. I can live with it, but a) it never used to do this, and b) it does get on my nerves......

2) More serious. Outlook express has developed a glitch. Attachments cannot be opened in OE. There seems nothing wrong with the attachment, since, if I save it to desktop, I can open it with Notepad, or Windows Media & Fax viewer, as appropriate.

3) As a 'work around' I thought I would install Thunderbird. I have a download, stored on disc, but when I try to click 'Run' - it just sits there - no error message, but no action. So, I deleted the stored download, & Googled for a new one. When I get the File Dowlonad Security Warning, whether I click on 'Save', or click on 'Run', similar thing - it just hangs. The 'Cancel' button works fine, tho!

Wierd!!!!! :whistling:

Edited by sweetdave, 23 April 2006 - 11:00 AM.