Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just wondering about the moderators here

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Is this the moderators business? Do they earn money for forums like these? or do they dedicate hours on end for free? I really dont get how some websites function in terms of money nor do i understand the net much. Do you need to pay to make a website or could you use microsoft frontpage and make 1 4 free?
:whistling:

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
As far as I know, moderators are volunteers. Maybe one will answer that question.

Creating websites costs nothing, and using Frontpage is one way to do it. However, once it's created it needs to be hosted somewhere. You will probably have some free webspace given to you by your ISP. Most do, but you won't have a proper domain name. Registering a domain costs, but not much. Once that's done, if you want it to look more professional, such as www.mysite.com you need to pay for hosting, again you can find cheap hosting for a basic site.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Yes, everyone here (Mods included) are volunteers. We do this out of love for you all!

As RichP said, you need to pay for the hosting etc. You can design & create a website yourself or pay someone to do it for you. Most website's generate enough money to cover their costs through advertising.

This is about as much as I know I'm afraid cuz I'm not a web expert - I stick mainly to hardware!

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
thats great, i never seen a computer forum with people that actually know what they are doing and they help us for free. very much appreciated.

-Aslan

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 12:22 PM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
ditto

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

thats great, i never seen a computer forum with people that actually know what they are doing and they help us for free. very much appreciated.

-Aslan

Which is exactly why I became a member & stuck around myself :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Samm is correct. EVERYONE here is a volunteer, even us Admins. :blink: The site pays for itself via the Google ads, and a few donations people have made to the owner. That money is used to pay for the site, the servers, etc and so on.

I have been asked many times why and how I do this for free. The answer is simple. At the end of the day, I can look in the mirror and know that I did something worthwhile, and helped a heck of a lot of people. The feeling I still get after all these years every time I help someone is something I just can't describe. I love fighting this fight against malware, and someday, I know we'll win. :whistling:

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Well thatsd quite some enthuistaism you have there Kat keep it up! I still dont get how it pays itself via adverstising on google... dont you have to pay to advertise on google?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I still dont get how it pays itself via adverstising on google... dont you have to pay to advertise on google?

google places ad's on this site...not the other way around...the site makes money for each ad that comes up (or maybe that's clicked?) i don't know how it works...i'm not "the guy"...but it's something allong those lines