Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LINKSYS WRT54G USERS! PLEASE NOTE

• Please log in to reply

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Welcome to G2G,

As of 9/13/2005, iDefense has discovered several security vulnerabilites regarding the LinkSys WRT54G Wireless G Broadband router. Since this is considered a low end, affordable router I believe a lot of users on this board may have this item in use. This Link provides the details on each of the vulnerabilities. It is highly critical to update these devices because firewall configurations, passwords, router configuration and other important information can be easily (I stress easily...) accessed. Since these devices are based on an open source linux distribution, such "hacks" could include the installation of monitoring, packet capturing, or other malicious software to gather personal or business information.

At the curent time, iDefense and US-CERT have reported these vulnerabilities. Cisco has refused to comment. I would expect Cisco to address any remaining threats in a very quick fashion and I will pass any additional information along as it is discovered.

...Back to your regularly scheduled program......(you know i always wondered why they never say...and back to that show you missed half of.......LOL)

For information about other known vulnerabilities click Here.

Edited by brianmil0923, 14 September 2005 - 11:58 PM.

Advertisements