Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity XP 64

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WHazuki

WHazuki

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys,

Problem coming all the way from Holland here. Saw you guys are doing great work, so I thought you should be able to help me with my predicament.

It is also a 'Limited or no Connectivity' issue, on a network that has 6 other people on it, whose internet works just fine. My Xbox Live works as well. Difference between my systems and the others, is that mine is badass and runs on XP 64 (SP2). I'm working on a housemate's compu here, so no mallware or security problems here, I should think.

So everybody in the house here is linked to a simple router, which is linked to another router, which is linked to a brandless modem which we got from the provider (called Alice, which could be Dutch, I'm not sure). We're talking ADSL here, btw. But since my PC is the only one with a connection problem, and my old PC (running normal XP) is working fine with the same wire and connection, I'm guessing it's a XP 64 thing.

I did all the usual stuff, like disconnecting the routers, unplugging the power to the modem, the networkcard status seems to be fine, etc, and here are the IPCONFIG results:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Autoconfiguration IP Adress: 169.254.72.86
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:169.254.72.86

Ethernet adapter Loca Area Connection:
Media State: Media disconnected

Don't make much sense to me, but I'm just following the steps you guys told somebody else to take.

Anyway, I don't know anything else to tell you guys, so; can you help me out?

Edited by WHazuki, 03 August 2009 - 12:52 PM.

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
well....I would say make sure your using the correct xp 64 bit driver for you network card.

Other than that it sounds like everything you've done should make it work unless the network card is bad...

the only way I would be able to tell online is to prove it by sticking a differant network card in it getting the driver installed for it and see if that fixes the problem if not then obviously its something else maybe Windows related....

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

well....I would say make sure your using the correct xp 64 bit driver for you network card.

Other than that it sounds like everything you've done should make it work unless the network card is bad...

the only way I would be able to tell online is to prove it by sticking a differant network card in it getting the driver installed for it and see if that fixes the problem if not then obviously its something else maybe Windows related....

Well, that's kinda the problem. Can't seem to find the correct driver, 'cause I don't know where to look. The Realtek site doesn't seem to have it and I can't find it on the MSI site, where my motherboard is from, either.

My network card is a Realtek RTL 8168D(P)/8111D(P) Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E NCI. Do you have any idea where I have to look for the right driver?

BTW, a bad network card is like the worst case scenario, as my PC is brand new. And the card is fixed to my motherboard, right? So if I need a new network card, do I need a new motherboard as well? That would suck, like, a lot.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far!

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I will see if I can help you find a 64 bit version of the driver. That could be a tough search. and IF the card is bad which I doubt if we have had trouble with finding the correct driver you can get a pci network card that just plugs into a pci slot on the motherboard.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Is this XP or Vista? If it is XP then you should update to service pack 3 as well to keep yourself as up to date as possible and if it's vista I may have found the driver your looking for.Click Herefor the vista driver.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
After searching that site a little bit I think I might have found the XP Drivers too.

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

After searching that site a little bit I think I might have found the XP Drivers too.

You're the man! I'm going to bed now (time difference, ya know), but I will try the driver tomorrow. Didn't know there was a SP 3 yet, by the way. That might solve the problem as well.

Oh yeah, it's XP ofcourse, Vista is kinda... sucky, don't you agree?

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
lol yeah the time differance from Holland to western Illinois is HUGE like 9 hours or something. Let us know if the driver works and if so I would just run updates and let it run until everything has been updated completely. :)

Good Luck!!

btw Vista is.... terrible. Windows 7 hopefully will improve things quite a bit!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the drivers don't help ...try this...
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start... Run... type in...CMD ....click OK

To Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

To Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry guys, been really busy the last couple of days so I haven't been able to try out your advice yet. I will certainly get to it this weekend and will let you know if it worked or not.

Sorry again, for I have geekblood flowing through my vains as well and I know 'being busy' sounds like I haven't been trying enough. But believe me; I've been busy.

I'll post again this weekend!

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay guys, I solved the problem. Not by following your advice, though. Well, I tried that, but it didn't work and then I found out my new PC has TWO network cards. So, and I'm quite ashamed by this, I plugged my cable in the other card and now my internet works again. Still don't know why the other one used to work and doesn't anymore, but at least I have internet again.

Sorry for wasting your time cuz of my stupidity. But still, it's weird that one of my ports used to work but stopped doing so for some reason.

Anyway, thanks again and expect to see me again when I have another (stupid) problem.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
true story:

I wasn't able to get connected to the internet and I couldn't figure out why I went through all the troubleshooting steps except the most basic one. Checking if it was plugged in and that was the problem. :) moral of the story is it happens to everyone!! :) Good to hear it works again!!