Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

List of hardware i want to use to build comp

• Please log in to reply

sulobaid

sulobaid

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey, so im listing all the hardware i want to use to build my first self built computer. Any advise, reviews, and suggestions would be really helpful.

CASE:COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

MOTHERBOARD:MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

PROCESSOR:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

Video card: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video

RAM:Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1600ELK

HARD DRIVE:Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

POWER SUPPLY:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

OPERATING SYSTEM:windows vista 64bit

EDIT: ok i have added links to the equipment on newegg

Edited by sulobaid, 09 June 2009 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Noticed the two power supplies.. (one comes with case)
Taking advantage of the dual PSU idea? :)

What do you plan on using this PC for mostly? Gaming?

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
na dont need dual psu just want that really good one i listed, anyway i changed witch case im going to get, another coolmaster that is almost identical but $10 cheaper and much prettier hah. Im gonna use the comp primarily for gaming, but i want to try to get some of the best hardware i can (while keeping under 2k) so that it will be current for quite a while and not have to be updated everytime a new high system demand game comes out. So you think that the things i listed is good stuff or are there better things you got in mind?

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hey in your guy's opinion which vid card is better, ive been comparing them and both sound good but im not quite sure what to look for in choosing either or.
sapphire vapor
sapphire 100270SR

also what is the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5?

Edited by sulobaid, 09 June 2009 - 07:48 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
SAPPHIRE 100270SR for sure. It's 512-bit :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Read about the difference here, it's a nice article. It's upgraded quite a bit, and the price is about 50 - 200 dollars more, depending on the card you get.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
This is a VERY nice card, also 120 more dollars then your original one. :)

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
you certainly are full of a lot of useful articles hah thanks for the info, so looked at that card and its basicly the same as the one i had before but GDDR5 i put it on my list :) but i think i will have to get a 1000W psu instead of the 750W i have on my list, i think it would be worth it though. on a new note does anyone know if the Motherboard on my list can run three ram chips or if it will only recognize them in pairs? ive heard this is a fairly common problem for some mobo

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
looked real quick and i put thisPSU on my list, looks plenty decent. btw whats the difference between a singl 12v rail or more 12v rails?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Another 12v rail gives you the ability to plug in another graphics card. That power supply would definitely run more than one :)

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
but it says it only has one 12v rail, i thought i saw something about a 12v rail being more stable but i just wanted to know what additional rails would do.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Definately go with the 4890 over the 4870 and the 4850X2.