Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost drivers and graphics

• Please log in to reply

whatshername

whatshername

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, since finally being able to reformat my pc (hp pavilion 4533) I did not save the drivers information (didn't know what exactly what to do there), now I have lost them and I am having a hard time searching them on the internet. I cannot locate any identifing information on the motherboard to figure out which numbers would direct me to the manual. I am not sure where on the motherboard to look. There are TONS of numbers and codes.

My 2 biggest problems...

1 -- No sound. My pc came with a Rockwell 56k data and fax modem. AKA "Riptide" Internal modem/sound card combination. (by, SMART Modular Technologies, INC, model #90079) I need the driver for this. Any suggestions where to look for it? I've done several searches with no results, and no it is not listed at hp.

2 -- No color. I was searching for my motherboard information to try to find out what I needed here. All I think I know is 'Graphics Driver'.

Any and all suggestions and help will be appreciated!!

I am running OS win98se with an AMD-K6 3D processor I believe its speed is 350?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
They're in the OS independant part of the download section

http://h10025.www1.h...us&dlc=en&os=54

since they're the same for all OSes. HP is actually pretty good when it comes to software support for older models but you have to hunt around a bit.

whatshername

whatshername

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
THANK YOU TYGER!!!!!!!

I have my sound and original modem back. I do have a second modem though, so that really wasn't too much of a concern. But the sound is BACK!!! THANK YOU!!!

However, the graphics download did not work. I get a message that says..."No files found. You may not be using SiS Video Driver No action performed"

Whatever I had before the reformat is gone now. I do not have the disks that came with this pc, it was given to me from a friend.

Do you or anyone know what or where I need to look for the motherboard numbers to put into a search to find the manual, so that I can find out what driver I need to fix my color and pixels? There was some on a sticker with a barcode, but it turned up with no results.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
So you'll probably need to look for the display adapter, it's probably about an inch square, near the video connection, for the right part number and mfr. name. Then either find it on the HP site or go to the device mfrs. website. Yeah, HP and Compaq are pretty bad about making the "same" model with different parts.

whatshername

whatshername

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Once again, THANK YOU TYGER!!!!!!

I thought that was the adapter, but I was not sure. I have my color back too. For now all seems to be working back to normal!

Thank you for all your help. I could not have done it without you!!!